chapter 2

chapter 2:
everything.
Nyx

"If a Sun Summoner is a Saint, then are you a Saint too?" Jesper asked.

"Not willingly."

"Also, didn't Kaz tell you you weren't allowed with us?" Jesper asked in a jesting tone adorned with a small smirk. I pulled my cloak closer to me, not because I was cold, but because it brought me comfort.

"I changed my mind," Kaz called out, as he was ahead of us.

"You two were alone for quite some time. Just saying," He shrugged.

"Gross. And as if. Nyx is smarter than to stoop so low," Inej came to my defense.

"We just had a chat. Now keep your nose out of other people's business," I booped his nose, to which he playfully rolled his eyes.

It was just a lovely chat.

I had to force myself to not let my smile come through and thanked the Saints that the hood hid my face well.

"I really appreciate new business, but you've only paid for am hour of my time, and I have to be back at The Orchid," Milana stressed to Kaz as we made our way out.

"The Orchid isn't safe tonight. Your life's in danger with this job. Make yourself scarce for a few days afterwards," Kaz told her, not bothering to pay attention to her but more to our surroundings.

"Mr. Brekker, are you threatening me? Really? Even if I'm nice, my boss will call the stadwatch on you."

Kaz stopped and fully turned towards her, "It's not me you're in danger with. It's Pekka Rollins."

"My boss would call the stadwatch on him as well."

"Which is why your boss is already dead," Her face dropped and she turned to me.

"Did he-?"

"No, never. You're safe with us, Milana. Trust me," She nodded, wringing her hands together.

"Who are you lot?"

"We're here to see Dreesen," Kaz stated.

"You're not with Pekka's crew," He pointed out.

"And you're not in Pekka's pocket anymore if you don't owe him," He casually threw him a bag of kruge, filled to the brim. Without hesitation, he let us in.

That was easy.

"Hey, where did you get that coin?" Jesper questioned as the gates closed behind us.

And we got our answer.

"Hey! One of these has a hole in it!"

"Was that from earlier?" I questioned.

"Inside. Inside," Kaz ushered us in, deciding that we only needed one problem right now as Milana stuck close to me in the unfamiliar environment.

I guess it was.

As much as I wanted to use my gifts to our advantage, I was only used for the rare occasions.