Alice widened her dark, golden eyes. "Please, Bella, let me explain-"

"Explain what?" Bella scoffed sharply. "How you left without a goodbye? Not even a phone call, Alice! You haven't even answered any of the emails I sent you!"

"I wanted to say goodbye, I swear! Edward wouldn't let me! He said that it needed to be a clean break," Alice looked on the verge of tears, and she definitely wanted to cry.

"Clean break," Bella seethed. "There was nothing clean about it. I was left in the middle of the woods for hours. If it weren't for Cynthia-"

Bella clamped her mouth shut. She didn't even want to think about it anymore. Alice had her jaw set, venom pooling in her mouth as she just found this out. She was ready to tear into Edward for this.

"I'm going to kick his ass," Alice snarled out.

Bella grinned bleakly.

Alice's eyes softened as she continued to gaze at Bella. She could see that this Bella was not the same as before. "What happened?" She then reached her her human friend, noticing something off about Bella's arm. 

Bella flinched, stepping back. She could still feel ghost stings, especially when something touched her. Alice gasped, taken aback by Bella's reaction. Neither of them said anything after that.

"I'm going to go hunt," Alice mentioned after a while. "Is it alright if I come back?"

Bella softened at Alice's childlike tone, smiling slightly. "Yeah."

It was quiet at the Swan residence, dark and quiet. Bella sat at the kitchen table, surrounded by her fae companions. Hadassah lingered by the back door, uneasy with the tiny vampire in town. There was something she knew, something that couldn't come to light. Yet. Faelynn whizzed here and there, clearly stressed.

"Guys, really. Alice won't hurt me or any of you," Bella tried to soothe.

"It's not Alice we're worried about. You saw Victoria, yes?" Faelynn's once chipper voice was now thick with stress and annoyance.

"But she disappeared. Even I can't find her if I feel through the magic," Bella informed.

"She shall bring danger,"  Hadassah's flowing voice said.

"Bella!" Alice's frantic voice scared the daylights out of the poor human. Hadassah and Faelynn had vanished right before Bella's eyes.

Alice came barreling through the back door just off the kitchen, her eyes unfocused and frantic. She appeared right on front of Bella, cause her to flinch.

"You disappeared," Alice whispered to herself, then with more conviction, "It's Edward."

Bella's face fell, her tone accusing. "I thought you said you came alone."

"No, no, I did! He thinks you're dead!"

"Why does he think I'm dead, Alice?"

Alice's eyes unfocused again, her face contorted into fury. She whipped out her cell and had it to her ear before Bella could blink.

"Rose, what the hell!? No, she's very much alive. I was wrong about that. She's standing right next to me! Save it, Rose. Give your apologies to someone who gives a damn."

Bella only heard Alice's side of the conversation, but picked it up, nonetheless. "So, Rosalie told him."

Alice eyed Bella curiously, wondering why she was being so calm.

"He's going to the Volturi. He wants to die, too." Alice said carefully.

Bella was quiet for a moment, processing what was just said to her. She wanted to save him, of course she did. She still loved him, even though he broke her heart.  She then thought of Esme. She wanted to save Esme the same heartbreak. She would lose another child. Bella needed to go to Cynthia.

"Bella, what are you planning?" Alice asked almost desperately.

"You're taking me to Cynthia's," Bella stated.

The ride to Cynthia's was made in record time. Alice pulled into the long driveway, stopping quite a few feet from the bridge.

"You're sure about this? I can't see this person, Bella. And you disappear!"

"I won't be long. Stay here," Bella ordered, then scrambled out of the car.

Bella rushed over the bridge, barging into Cynthia's cottage without a second thought; the bells jangled loudly. Cynthia was startled awake to Bella's voice calling for her. Cynthia stumbled out of her bedroom to find Bella in a frantic state.

"Bella, what's wrong?" Cynthia rushed to her sister's side.

"I need you to cover for me, I have to leave," Bella pleaded. She then went to Cynthia's room to rummage through her clothes, searching for something to change into.

"What? What for?" Cynthia followed Bella, immediately aiding her search without even thinking.

Bella quickly found an outfit to her liking; a simple, forest green, maxi skirt. A grey, short sleeved shirt and a lace kimono.

"I have to go to Italy," Bella informed. "Something happened."

"First of all, no. Absolutely not. And second, what happened?"

"I need to save Edward, Cyn. Please!"

"No, Bella! You can't go! That's a death sentence!"

"He thinks that I'm dead!" Bella cried. "He's going to kill himself!"

"I can't protect you from the Volturi!"

"Cynthia, please. I can't let him do that to his family," Bella's voice finally broke.

Cynthia didn't say anything more, just stared at her sister. Contemplating.

"They are just as close knit as we are, Cyn. I can't  just sit here if I know I have a chance to save them of such heartbreak."

"Even after what they've done to you? After what he did?" Cynthia's tone was softer now.

"Of course," Bella whispered, the tension finally dissipating. "He just needs to see that I'm not actually dead."

Cynthia sighed. "This is insane. You are insane."

They held each other's gaze for a moment, until Cynthia finally spoke.

"Faelynn is going with you."

"Okay," Bella agreed softly.

Little Faelynn immediately darted to Bella's side, vanishing into thin air. But both girls knew she was right there.

Bella threw her arms around Cynthia; ignoring the dull pang of pain in her arm.

"I love you, Bella," Cynthia mumbled into her sister's neck. "Please, be careful."

"I love you, too. I will."

And with that, Bella darted out the door, with an invisible Faelynn hot on her tail.

Alice Cullen was waiting, leaning on the car. Her eyes held confusion, something that she did not like feeling. Bella got into the passenger seat, ignoring the look on Alice's face.

"Bella, how does she know about the Volturi?" Alice pleaded.

"Let's go," Bella frowned.

Alice sighed, peeling down the long drive and headed north to Port Angeles. The vampire could feel another presence with them, but couldn't see anything.

After Bella had run out of the cottage, Cynthia went straight to her home phone in the hallway. She dialed the number, hoping that her grandmother would pick up.

"Hello?" Rowena's voice was thick with sleep.

"Rowena, I need your help."

Cynthia had no idea that Alice, her biological sister, was just there.