Part 11- A Cook and A Princess

"Well what now huh?" Charlie sat on one of the wooden benches and twirled a small wand in between his pointer and middle finger. Emily had told them of the discovery of the Jester's staff and they had been contemplating over what to do next. 

"I say we leave that good for nothing Jester." The Keeper said as she tossed the staff on a chest of supplies. 

Charlie shot Emily a look. 

"What?"

The smell of roasting beef drifted through the tent flap from the campfire that had been built a couple feet away from the tent. A couple glow orbs were floating around inside, and in the middle of the medical tent lay a large empty operating table, with an array of surgical instruments on the side. Tully and two other rabbits were playing a game of cards on a overturned barrel as the three royals sat in a circle. 

"Should we go after him?" Julie inquired as she brushed a strand of hair away from her face. 

"Julie don't be stupid.." Charlie groaned; monkey scurried up his arm and sat on his head. 

"I'M NOT STUPID." The Princess punched the Cook in the arm. "I just happen not to know the meanings of some words." she finished with a hair flip which hit Charlie in the face. 

"All I'm saying is, we don;t know if that idiot is alive or dead." Charlie cleared his throat with a small cough. "Does it really seem smart to just jump down a crack in the earth?" The monkey on his head nodded.

Tully who had been overhearing the entire discussion looked up from his hand of cards. "But what if he is alive? That Prince is a stubborn one. Remember when he got hit by that wagon?"

He looked back at his hand and placed them down. A Queen of Hearts, a Lion of Squares, and a Pawn of Wood. "Read'em and weep." Tully said with a wink. The other two animals groaned and handed over a clump of carrots. 

"That's a wagon. This is a drop through a rift." Emily said bluntly. 

"Well lets just check whats down there just in case?" The cook asked. "We'll send a squad of hares with us."

The Hares were bigger and faster than rabbits. More fit for fighting and much more disciplined. Rabbits basically preformed all the domestic chores. Poor bastards. 

"I'll go along with that." Julie added. 

The Dragon Keeper got up and walked toward the supply crates. She threw two freshly packed packs toward the two royals as well as the Prince's staff. 

"I'll stay here." Now she crossed her arms. "You fools are just going to get yourselves killed. call me by seashell if you need anything. She nodded at a large conch shell resting on another crate."

Charlie and Julie got up. They both threw on their packs. 

"I'll send a special ops team of hares with you." The Keeper nodded at them. "Good Luck."

Tully scampered over to the duo. "I'm going too." He said seriously. He had already strapped on a scout issued pack and he wore a small dagger at his side. 

"Tully your a your going to get hurt." Julie said sympathetically. She patted his fuzzy head. "We need you here. To help take care of these people." 

Tully grumbled and threw down his weapon. It clattered against the stone street pavement below them. "...I wish I was born a hare." He said with as he gritted his teeth. 

Julie was about to pat him again, but he brushed away the hand and darted from the tent. 

Charlie and Julie stood there for a second. Julie looked down at her boots. 

"Don't feel bad mate." Charlie poked her shoulder. "He's just upset that's all."

Julie put on tight smile. The Princess and the Cook left the tent.

***

Near the rift a squad of hares waited for them. Just as promised by Em. 

"She must think she's the Keeper of Hares too.." Charlie grinned and approached the group.

"Alllo there mates!" A hare walked up to greet him. The animal was dressed in a green and brown leather padded armor that covered most of his chest. Two weapons hung at his side. A medium sized rapier and a short dagger. The Hare was up to the Cook's chin in height. 

"Yo." Julie flashed a peace sign. 

"Moi name is Chester." The hare said with a salute. "I'm am the squad leader and Sergeant of this band of maggots. Roll call!" Chester turned and addressed the five hares behind him. 

"Umber. At your service!"

"Flin. At your service!"

"Amber, M'lords."

"Wot wot, Remmy were."

"Stan. Here!"

The five hares behind Chester stood at attention. Each had a rapier and dagger strapped to their belts. They carried light packs and the two royals could see their muscular legs wrapped in hard leather cloth. 

"So your going down into the rift, eh?" Amber excitedly hopped forward and asked. She had a carrot sticking out of her mouth as she nibbled an end. 

"Amber, git your your stinking rump back in formation." Chester called out. 

"Yessum." Amber chuckled and went back.

"These buggers have been dozing around all day." Chester apologized. "We're from the outpost nearby, the rabbits retrieved us to help with the evacuation. This is Squad 2B reporting for duty!"

"Special Ops right? Man that's cool.." The Cook turned and smiled at Julie. 

"So how the hell do we get down there." Julie said pointing to the giant crack. 

"Easy! We use-" Amber called out. 

"JESUS SHUT IT AMBS." Chester responded.

"Mushrooms." Amber finished with a smile. 

***

All of them had been given a red mushroom that were distributed by Flin and Remmy who had a load in their bags. They were small and felt very coarse. Yet one could easily fray the sides by pressing a fingernail to them. The cap of the mushroom had a splatter of white circles and the red sections felt soft and cushiony. A strong scent of ginger emitted from the stem. The squad leader had said it would allow them to float for a brief period of time. 

"As soon as we jump, you start eating." Chester instructed as the stood at the rim of the rift. The green lights from the under ground spires danced below them. 

"I think I'm gonna pee..." Julie said. 

"Jesus Christ Julie, I told you to go before we started." Charlie said with a frown.

"But I really have to gooooo." Julie bent her knees and hopped in place a little. 

The entire operation was delayed several minutes before Julie returned from the bathroom. Chester was obviously pissed but he didn't retaliate at all. 

"Okay lets do this." Julie said and fist pumped the air. 

They all gathered back around the rift again and held onto their mushrooms. 

"On a count of three?" Charlie asked and winked at Chester.

"Sure." Umber replied. 

"One...Two.." The Cook counted slowly.

"THREE." 

Only Julie jumped.

They could hear her cursing on the way down.

The hares laughed and then entered the rift, with Charlie close behind them.

Signing out, Gin