Part 9- The Calm Before the Storm

Charlie and Julie had finally arrived at Shaker around sundown. The town was pretty far from the palace, but the horse shoes on their steeds had been enchanted to grant swiftness and agility.

"Sweet Jesus..." Charlie's horse said as they caught sight of the Keeper's sleeping dragon.

"Emily's scarier.." Julie said quietly.

That didn't sound reassuring. The Princess and the Cook go of the stallions and entered the village.
The two horses promised not to stray far, but apologized in advance that if the dragon woke, the two would be gone in a heartbeat.

"Guess it must've been pretty bad, huh?" Charlie said; he nodded at the various tents set up. A trio of rabbits scampered by, holding glow orbs to set around the campus for light. The crowded street in front of them was illuminated by a dozen floating balls of light, casting a soft white glow on the ground below.

Julie nodded a couple times.

"Does Emily have her seashell on her?" She asked after looking around.

"I think she only carries her music shell with her.. I dunno... give it a try." Charlie replied.

Julie out a small spiral shell out of her bag and tapped the tip of the spiral three times.

"Emily, House Bryne." She said in to the shell opening, and waited.

"Wassup bitches." came a reply through the shell, unmistakably the Keeper's.

"Yey!" Julie jumped and clapped her hands. Charlie took the shell from her.

"Where are you dude? Aha, all these tents. Exactly how many warrens were called here?"

"What's a warren?" The Princess chirped.

The Cook waved off the question.

"Other side of town dude. I'm in the blue medical tent next to a collapsed cathedral." Emily responded.

"Alright we'll be there in-"

"WHAT"S A WARREN?" Julie pouted.

"Em I'm gonna hafta call you back.." Charlie sighed.

"WARREN!"

"Ahaha Julie? Okay, byeee" Came the reply.

"Okay cya lat-"

"WHAT"S A WARREN"

"SONUVABITCH JULIE."

"....." The Princess made a frown and looked at her boots.

"ughhh... okay okay I'm sorry." Charlie apologized. "A warren is basically a den of rabbits."

Julie nodded and made a face.

"Now lets get to the cathedral. Em's in one of the medical tents on that side of town." Charlie was about to start walking when Julie ran up to him and poked his arm.

"Aha what?"

".....what's a cathedral?"

***

Kevin and Snehita were both sitting in one of the many lounges in the palace. They were cuddling against each other; a platter of fruit was laid out on a circular glass table in front of them. Snehita had both her arms wrapped around Kevin's midsection.

"Its good to be alone.... just the two of us." Kevin said with a smile and leaned his head back. The Chandelier above them glittered from the countless candles it carried.

"Yurp." Snehita giggled.

Kevin smiled and shifted his body to get comfortable. "I've been wondering where Charlie and Julie are up too.It sucks that they have to leave soon."