Part 7 -Jester's Journey

"Lukas what the hell?!" George stumbled forward alittle and leaned in to look at his hand closer.

"George I can't leave.." The Alchemist said with a sad laugh.

"And how do you know that?" The Jester stood up and crossed his arms, the bells on his hat tinkled.

"Because there were others here....." He said under his breath, just loud enough so the Prince could hear him. The lab felt even more empty.

***

Sara flung through the woods. She could hear the sound of hoof beats not too far behind her. Brandon was right there next to her; his breathing ragged. They both vaulted over a fallen log, covered with purple studded moss.

"OY! BRING UP THE FLANK!" A voice called out from behind them.

The Executioner glanced back briefly.

There were six pursuers on horseback. Three of them had broken off from the main group and arched around in an attempt to cut her off.

Branches and twigs whacked her face as she forced her legs to go even faster. Three arrows whizzed by her and buried themselves in the side of a tree trunk. Another sliced through a bush and shattered against a boulder.

A clearing was up ahead. She could hear the sound of water flowing. Adrenaline pulsed through her system; her beating heart echoed in her ears.

"Just Get to the river." Sara thought to herself. The water nymphs there would help. Of course they would. The nymphs had raised her.

***

Alison notched another arrow. She steered the horse hands free; a result of training in the knights academy from the day she could walk. Her horse crashed through a dense patch of foliage. The girl was making a break fo the river. She's a queer one.

The knight released the shaft and it flew toward its target but the Executioner swiftly dodged it with a quick spin to the right.

"Dammit..." Alison muttered and reached for a second arrow.

"Fast little bugger ain't she?" Tomus, her younger brother, said as he rode next to her, both of them in hot pursuit. The third rider was right behind them; he had his saber drawn and ready.

"And bloody unnatural..." Alison replied under her breath, her northern accent a little lighter than Tomus's. "She's out running the damn horses!"

As the broke into the clearing the horses staggered to a stop. The Executioner and the Rebel were standing there. Their backs to the rushing river. A second later the latter half of the riders appeared from the trees a few feet away.

Alison circled the Executioner. Her bow held limp but ready to fire if needed.

"Hallo..your grace. I'm afraid the shenanigans stop here..." Alison performed an overly showily nod, obviously poking fun at the Executioner's presumed royal status. Some of the men snickered.

"Now, if ye kindly dropped the axe. That would be much appreciated." The riders encircled the two fugitives, being careful to stay out of range of the axe the girl wielded.

There was short silence. The air was thick with tension.

"Not much of a talker eh?" Alison said as she glanced over at Tomus.

She turned and shot the girl through the chest.

***

Lukas nodded at the shelves behind him. There was a stack of leather bound books near a jar labeled "Aldritch Formaldehyde".