She hesitated for a second but then opened the letter.

It read:

Beloved Max,

How have you been doing? No letters from you since March. How's Julia? Hope your work is going well. You have always been such a good cook. Take care of yourself and write back.  

With love,

Noah.

She couldn't think, couldn't speak, couldn't move. Her head was burning with pain.

It seemed as if a knife was jabbed in her chest. She felt she was soaked in filth, the scent of the flowers made her nauseous.   

Max came home late in the evening. The house was dark. Only a lamp in the living room. Julia was nowhere to be seen. 

He found her in the garden in the backyard.

Her eyes were moist. Hair untied. She looked exhausted, tired, and done...

"Julia? Are you okay?", he placed his hands on her shoulders.

She was quiet, looked at him in the eyes, she never noticed how deep they were. His dark hair shining in moonlight, face full of concern. Concerned, for her? His hands holding her steadily. 

She stepped back. 

"Who am I, Max?", her gaze was profuse, intriguing. 

"What is my identity? Who are you? Answer me!".

Max was startled. He looked at the sky and turned back. Hands on his hair clutching hard.

"I trusted every bit you said. I trusted you. I used to think, so what if you don't know me, so what if we aren't related, so what if we don't share any equation, you won't ever lie to me, ever betray me...you gave me life Max, now I don't know if that is even true!... Do you know how it feels when you don't even recognize yourself, you don't know yourself...you root for your identity, but you are helpless, every moment you keep thinking, who am I, where do I belong? It keeps eating up your mind and heart. You cannot even trust anyone, because you are oblivious of yourself! You can never know the truth you have to rely, your life is not anymore in your hands... Do you even know how that feels?? " 

She was sobbing now. Her heart had exploded, she was hurt once again.

"In that condition, I trusted you...I trusted you, and you gave me life...but I didn't want lies...I wanted a life with truth and only truth. You have finished me, Max - ", she dropped to the ground.

He caught her, her head on his lap. 

He held her hands and looked into her eyes - "I am sorry. I am sorry...I am sorry"

"Who is Noah?" 

"What?!"

"I didn't go through your personal, beloved things Mr. Chef. I found a letter in the doorway."

He carried her inside.

Then

Max entered her cabin. She was weak and drained.

She spoke "Who am I? Why am I here?"

He calmed her, patted her head. "You had an accident. Your condition was terrible but you are safe now."

"Who are you and what happened to me, I want to go!"

"Please believe me you had an awful accident which has led to your memory loss. I found your id, only the name was readable, you are Julia Smith. Look at me nothing will happen to you. I lost my parents in the same bus accident. You have to live Julia, you have to."