Chapter 1 - Arrival

Start from the beginning

"I'll do my best, Ralph."

The former worship leader smiled at him satisfied and assured that he had chosen God's servant to the right position.

"Well, then, next week we will start the auditions." He looked on his papers.

"From Monday to Friday?" Adam reckoned from the papers he saw.

"Yep! We have a list of the candidates."

"Tell me there are males in the list?"

"Nope. Your father specifically asked for a female voice. So we contacted all the neighboring churches."

"You mean, all the churches in the country." Adam knew his father was a megalomaniac. "He is also trying to find me a wife, I see!"

"Seems like."

"I don't need one right now." He knew that his days were numbered.

"I'm not saying I agree with the method but your father's right." Ralph spoke. "Don't you feel lonely sometimes, in the woods?"

Adam lived in a modern wooden cabin in the woods, an hour ride away from the city.

"As for that, I might come to my parents' more often." He considered. "My bedroom is still vacant."

_______________________________________________________________________________

That was an intense week, it was hard to believe that Friday was just beginning. The square that harbored one of the biggest churches of Sydney was overly packed for a weekday. The entrance was open and a young black lady passing by entered the building out of sheer curiosity.

"Hey!" A girl that entered the building after her called.

She turned to see the newcomer.

"Did you do your audition already?" The newcomer seemed a little nervous.

"What audition?"

The young lady that came to her was ginger and wore a plaid shirt, her voice was hoarse and remarkably nice to hear.

"Well, I might just check the e-mail again." She grabbed her phone and looked at the screen, leaving the other lady confused. "Here it is!" She pulled the black girl by the hand. "Join us!" 

She followed the girl in plaid, and they entered a corridor with a long queue of other young ladies.

"Apparently I am last." Said her escort, leaning onto the wall. "My name is Chloe, by the way!" She was a tom-boy.

"Debora." The black lady introduced herself.

"They are auditioning for a female voice." Chloe explained.

"It does look like something else."

Chloe was short and lifted her eyes to Debora inquiringly.

"Looks more like they are looking for someone's future wife." Debora smirked, clarifying her thoughts.

"May be." Chloe seemed serious about that remark.

They had a connection, and since Debora wanted to settle in that city quickly, she ventured to make friends with Chloe. They shared many common experiences and got along. Both were young, single, the same age, and even had similar spiritual and professional goals. Therefore, time elapsed quickly, and the queue swiftly grew shorter, until Chloe's turn came.

"Wait for me!" Chloe pleaded as she entered the audition room.

In a few minutes, Chloe came outside to meet her new friend.