125: A Reconciliation of Rivals

It had been a month since Cassiopeia had broken up with Tom. Each day, she found solace in the company of her friends, making the healing process a bit easier. She made a conscious effort to avoid Tom, ignoring him whenever she could, even on his birthday. Pansy and Astoria were her steadfast companions, ensuring she never felt alone.

Astoria had a deep interest in medications and healing. She often spent time with Madame Pomfrey, and she encouraged Cassiopeia to join her. Through this, Cassiopeia learned a great deal about healing potions. Her natural aptitude for Potions made this transition smoother than she had expected.

Pansy took her to Hogsmeade during their free time, where they had fun drinking, eating, and shopping. Whenever Astoria could join them, the trio would bond and create lasting memories. Cassiopeia helped Astoria with Potions, while Astoria assisted her in Herbology, as she displayed a remarkable talent in that subject.

Then there was Draco, ever the stubborn Malfoy. Cassiopeia made persistent efforts to get him to reveal something she was deeply curious about. Draco was resistant, but eventually, she convinced him to accompany her to the Three Broomsticks. It wasn't for fun but rather something she felt compelled to do before their graduation.

"I don't think Saint Potter will come," Draco expressed, scanning the surroundings. "He will never apologize to me."

"But you have to start first," Cassiopeia insisted as they were served three Butterbeers by a maid. "Because you only started this."

"Come on, Cass, he was the one who rejected my friendship," he lamented. "But I want to tell you something."

He looked down, his grip on the glass of Butterbeer tightening. He appeared deeply concerned about something.

"Draco," Cassiopeia said gently, rubbing her thumb on the back of his hand through the glass. "Spit it out, Draco."

"I've never told this to anyone, but..." he looked at her with a sorrowful expression. "I think I don't deserve his friendship after all that I've done."

Cassiopeia initially felt a sense of wonder upon hearing his genuine confession. How could he be so open about it?

"Nobody is perfect, you know," she said, soothingly rubbing his back. "It's worth realizing the mistakes you've made in the past. You should strive to correct them instead of staying silent. Consider this the first step you're taking to become a better person."

"But I've turned into a monster, Cassie," he sighed. "Even if he forgives me, he won't in the future."

"What do you mean, Draco?" Cassiopeia asked, maintaining her patience. She knew of Tom's plans with Draco but didn't want to reveal her knowledge. She hoped Draco would be honest and trust her enough to speak openly.

"Can anyone tell what he's doing here?" Harry's voice interrupted as Cassiopeia turned her attention to him. "I thought it was just us."

"Do you think she asked for a date with you, Potter?" Draco raised an eyebrow, which clearly irked Harry. "Just sit down."

"I'm not here to take your orders, Malfoy," Harry retorted, then shifted his gaze to Cassiopeia. "Cassie, what's going on?"

"Shall we just calm down a little bit?" Cassiopeia tried to mediate between the two boys. "Harry, please sit."

Harry complied and took a seat across from them. Cassiopeia felt Draco's hand tighten around hers under the table, and she responded with a reassuring squeeze. It was clear that some difficult conversations were ahead, and she hoped they could find a way to rebuild their bonds.

"I expect you two to be tolerant with each other," Cassiopeia warned as they nodded. "So, Harry, how are you?"

"Uhm... good," Harry's brows furrowed as he looked at Cassiopeia, bewildered. "What's happening?"

Draco didn't meet Harry's eyes but stared down at the cup, as if he were intensely examining it in preparation to serve a Butterbeer. The tension in the air grew thicker by the second, so Cassiopeia decided to initiate the conversation.

"Draco has something to tell you," she blurted out, squeezing Draco's hand. "If you don't mind, Harry. Is that alright?"

"Okay," Harry gulped, looking at Draco.

"Uhmm... Potter, so..." Draco cleared his throat awkwardly. "I--I mean, uhm, we... well... since..." Then Draco hissed at Cassiopeia. "I cannot do this, Cassie."

"Stop being a jerk, idiot," Cassiopeia hissed back. "You're a Malfoy, and Malfoys are not weak."

"So, Potter," he straightened himself, still holding Cassiopeia's hand. "Iwanttoapologizetoyou."

Cassiopeia gave him a clueless look, as did Harry. She was still trying to understand what Draco had just said.

"You what?" Harry asked, furrowing his brow.

"I want to apologize to you for what I'd done to you since we met," Draco stated. "I—I know I did terrible things, and they are extremely terrible."

"Yes, extremely terrible," Harry spoke. "You called me Scarface and pathetic, you mocked me with Cedric's death, and you called my friend a mudblood and blood-traitor... wait... and you broke my nose."

"That's because you tried to eavesdrop, Potter," Draco added.

"Because you are a Death Eater," Harry spat.

"I'm not a Death Eater, Potter," Draco snarled, folding his sleeve to reveal his forearm. "Are you happy now?"

Harry looked at Cassiopeia with a sense of regret as she sighed, nodding to confirm that it was true.

"I still cannot believe why I should tell him sorry," Draco rolled his eyes at Cassiopeia. "He's being difficult when we try to—"

"I'm sorry too," Harry blurted out, reaching for his Butterbeer. "I never thought that spell would harm you like that, I didn't want to kill you, Malfoy. Sorry for suspecting that you're a Death Eater."

Then the two of them looked at each other with blank expressions while Cassiopeia waited for someone to make a move towards friendship. They sighed and looked away.

Typical boys!

"Are we all set then?" Cassiopeia beamed as both nodded. "Friends?"

She nudged her shoulder with Draco's, and Harry quickly extended his hand.

"I guess you once stretched your hand out, so..." Harry bit his lip. "I think it's time for me to accept it, Malfoy."

A faint smile appeared on Draco's face as a sigh of relief escaped Cassiopeia's lips.

"Potter," Draco smiled, shaking the extended hand.

"Oh, now I can die happily," Cassiopeia leaned back in her chair, wiping her forehead. "Damn it, I thought you two would start a fight and ruin this Inn."

"If you want, the three of us can do it together," Draco answered as Cassiopeia playfully hit his upper arm. "So, for being friends."

Draco raised his Butterbeer as both Cassiopeia and Harry did the same.

"Friends," Harry stated, taking a sip from his cup.

They talked for a few hours about everything related to Hogwarts, their graduation, and the Winter Ball they had attended. The two boys slowly but surely got along, which made Cassiopeia happy. Finally, she could erase the Malfoy vs. Potter rivalry and create a bond between Malfoy and Potter.