It was awkward, but I sat there because I really wanted to get all the tension out. Eli's away and I wanted things to be back to normal when he gets back.

And I needed to apologize to him, too.

Shouldn't have reacted the way I reacted.

But they just remained silent.

"I know you're worried about Eli, and you have every right to be worried. Eli... he's so kind. He's probably the kindest person I know and I'm also worried about him—worried that someone would take advantage of his kindness," I told them. "I understand where you're coming from... so, I feel like I need to tell you and to assure you that I really like him and I care a lot about him."

Elena's face was softening a bit.

I knew she's just worried...

When I first heard her talking about me with Eli, of course that stunk. But when I thought about what she said and tried to place myself in her position, I understood where she was coming from.

Her baby brother's dating someone older—someone with a child.

It's a lot to take for some people...

Not everyone's like Eli.

Not every sees the world in his lenses.

Some people would call single mothers like me segunda mano... or that I was taking advantage of single guys like Eli.

It's just how the world works.

And it sucks a lot sometimes.

"My work pays well," I added because this was one of her concerns. "Samantha's father also works as a doctor and he's the one paying for most of her needs... so you don't have to worry about that. She's well taken-cared of."

They were still silent.

"She's also the only grandchild on both my side and her dad's side, so she'll be fine."

God, I hated talking about money. I felt like it's tacky, but they needed to be assured that I wouldn't leech off from their brother.

I sat there for a few more uncomfortable seconds, but I got no verbal response from them. I just smiled at them as I stood up.

"I really like Eli and I hope we can be civil. For his sake, at least," I said as I gave them a small smile. "Thank you for listening."

I did my part.

The rest, it's up to them.

I got out and got back in my car. I got the phone from my bag to send a text to him to tell him that I went to their house because I didn't want him to think that I snuck behind his back.

'Hi. Punta lang ako sa Quezon. Baka bukas pa ako babalik.'

My lips parted.

So... he texted.

He still informed me.

'Okay,' I replied. We'd talk when he gets back.

* * *

"Mommy, are you okay?" Sammie asked.

"Yes, mommy, are you okay?" Sean asked, mimicking Sammie's tone. Sammie giggled. I frowned at them.

"Go clean up," I told Sammie.

Tomorrow's the house blessing and Sean just dropped Sammie off. They went to some museum and Sammie brought home a lot of new books about dinosaur. I had a conversation with Sean about the books. As much as I liked that my daughter's into reading, there's just a lot of books. I told Sammie that we should donate the ones she's finished reading, but she was adamant about it.