vi. knees and ships

Start from the beginning

"Yes, ma'am," The guard bowed his head, running off as Stasiaj watched him go with narrowed eyes before looking back at Kaz, who was adjusting his gloves.

"You think this is gonna work?" Kaz nodded his head.

"Yes,"

"Are you sure because I do not wish to be going on a fools errand with you," Stasiaj replied. "What about us? Are we alright now or are you going to knock me unconscious again?"

"No, never again," Kaz was sincere in that sentence. "and I'm sure, Snake, more sure than anything."

"I hope you're right, Crow Man," Stasiaj grinned, and Kaz finally relaxed at the sight of her smirk. This was familiar territory, one that he could deal with. He could handle Stasiaj and her emotions when she was like this, he couldn't when she got angry because she turned into a wild card that even he could not predict. "Otherwise I am going to have to travel down to hell and slap some sense into you."

"You'd be breaking the rules," Kaz reminded, a smirk forming on his face as Stasiaj narrowed her eyes at him.

"That's why I'd do it with your stupid cane, and stop smiling, it's weird," 

"Why do I feel like this is going to go wrong?" Stasiaj murmured, leaning against her own ship as she waited for the remainder of the Dregs to reach her. "I swear if he double crosses me, I'll haunt him forever."

"Ma'am, everything's on board," Stasiaj shivered at the thought of the sea voyage ahead. She was praying to every god out there that it was calm and quiet, otherwise she was going to be a shivering prone form in a cabin. If it was calm, she'd be a shivering prone form on deck to spit Kaz and cause him grief. "What shall we do?"

"Prepare to sail, Captain," Stasiaj murmured. "We're going to need to leave at a moment's notice."

Then, something exploded and Stasiaj raised an unamused eyebrow.

"Ma'am...?"

"Don't worry, the Bastard's just being over dramatic," Stasiaj waved his concern off, hopping into the boat as she waited for someone to appear. Minutes later, a frantic Jesper and Wylan van Eck came running towards her. "Evening boys. Lovely night for a trip, isn't it?"

"Stasiaj..." Jesper stopped, unsure of what to do.

"Get on the boat, boys," Wylan didn't need to be told twice, bolting past Stasiaj, who picked a pistol up from beside her. "Are you getting on or not?"

"Uh...n..no?" Jesper stumbled over his words as he watched Stasiaj place bullets in the chamber of her gun.

"Are you still here, Jesper?" That was all the words needed for Jesper to run off back to the fight, as Stasiaj waited for something to happen. Men appeared on the dock, as Jesper began to shoot down at them, and Stasiaj could just about make out everyone else beyond them. "I'll leave you boys to it then, have fun! Don't destroy my ship."

She disappeared into the cabin section, making sure that her crew was setting up everything correctly, getting the ship ready to launch. Bangs, pops and other sounds came from outside as she heard screams. Hopefully the Dregs were winning, because she could not be asked to fight someone else's losing battle for them.

"Snake, go!" Stasiaj heard Kaz's words over the noise, motioning for her crew to take off as she left the cabin and went onto the main deck to check to see if everyone was alright.

Kaz stood in the middle, breathing heavily as he held Inej in his arms, who was bleeding heavily. Stasiaj narrowed her eyes, looking the Crow Man up and down as she saw him holding his bad leg.

"Where's Nina?"

"Below deck, patching up..." Stasiaj felt a spark of something jump in her heart at the sight of Kaz, but ignored it as the stubborn man tried to walk off.

"Don't be stupid, Crow Man," Stasiaj snapped, before motioning to Jesper. "Get Inej to Nina, tell her its urgent."

"I can do it," Kaz growled, as Stasiaj glared at him.

"Jesper now, ignore his bark,"

"Yes...Yes ma'am..." Jesper stuttered out, grabbing Inej and running below deck as Kaz turned his dark glare onto Stasiaj, who ignored him.

"You had no right..."

"You're limping, Bastard," Stasiaj reminded him, handing his cane over. "Don't be a fool. I need you alive to pay me, remember, so stop doing stupid things."

Hiya,

Stasiaj is amazing and her and Kaz are just a lot of fun. Also, Jesper is hands down terrified of her and Stasiaj is facing her fear of the sea in the next couple of chapters.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx