𝒊. the curse of the fold

CHAPTER ONE . . .  the curse of the fold

  the curse of the fold

——————

       "WHY WAS THE FOLD CREATED?" A young Alina asked the woman beside her. It was a sensible question considering the fact that the book they were currently reading was not in any way educational.

It seemed more like a trophy written by the winners who had triumphed over the evil black heretic who plagued their world for so long. And apparently, it wasn't just the young woman who believed that. As the two children, either side of her found it equally as ridiculous.

"It's obvious. It was created to kill the heretic's enemies." Mal replied as the woman who held the book, lightly stroked an out of place corner back into position. Except her efforts were futile.

"That can't be the only reason. Can it, Ellie?" The part Shu girl reasoned. A pleading look on her youthful face, hoping there was more to the story than what was presented to them. She always loved a good story.

"Of course not. There are always two sides to a story." Her answer eased Alina's worries of story night being cut short and made a toothy grin take hold. Wordlessly asking the woman to continue.

But both of them were interrupted by Mal's arrogance. "He was evil and a madman. What else is there to it?" He groaned, growing bored of the conversation.

"Would you like me to continue? Or, would you like me to tell Ana Kuya about that statue you broke outside today?" El negotiated, knowing that the fear of Ana Kuya finding out about his recklessness a few hours prior would shut him up.

The boy let out a gasp at her obvious blackmail. While Alina started to giggle at Mal's fall of bravado.

Once she'd received the response she expected she allowed the corners of her lips to turn upwards, smiling at his brooding manner. "No? Then I suggest we continue."

Closing the old book, she gave it to Alina for safekeeping. She was the better choice of the two, Mal would probably misplace it even while he was asleep. Moving both of her arms to place them over the small children's shoulders she pulled them closer towards her.

"I think the fold was created by accident. He was hungry for power but underestimated the consequences." She told them, her eyes turning from the two children in her arms to the clock as she saw that they only had less than a minute until midnight. She couldn't stay up with them too long, otherwise, Ana Kuya would wring her neck as well.

Alina seemed to notice the older woman's attention on the timepiece across the room. Accepting the fact that it was late, and that she and Mal needed to get to bed before they got in trouble.