Now that I wasn't an asset for Seokjin beyond my role as his fiancé, the king had requested my father join us in the castle until the wedding.

When Lisa informed me of this, my heart clenched. I'd hoped to escort her to Busan. To give myself space before the nuptials, which would take place in a fortnight.

Apparently, Seokjin had other plans. I supposed that he wanted to keep me here in case new developments sprouted regarding the hunt for Taehyung.

Did His Majesty want my family nearby in order to ensure my cooperation? Did that mean the king doubted my allegiance?

With my sister tucked in my arms, I forced myself not to dwell on this, instead taking solace in her silvery voice.

"Was it scary?" she asked when I told her the story of Taehyung's band of thieves.

"At first," I answered.

"Did they hurt you? Was the legend man cruel?" Before I could answer, the color drained from her cheeks.

I could tell her imagination had begun to travel down more private terrain. "Oh, Luna, did he...did he..." She frowned. "You're blushing."

"It's of no consequence," I said, tapping my finger against her nose.

She wiggled away from me to get a better look at my face. I hated it whenever she stared at me like that. It rendered me powerless to conceal truths I might wish to protect. I turned around, but she simply crawled over me like a bug. "Luna, you didn't!"

"I-"

Lisa slapped my pillow. "You did! Luna, wherefore? He's a criminal, a cutpurse, and you let..." She tilted her head at me, registering something anew. "Do you care about him?"

I swallowed. "He's an easy man to care for."

She hesitated. "So easy?"

"Dreadfully thus."

I spoke of our friendship and my growing fondness for him. My sister's mood shifted yet again. This time, to intrigue. "Is he handsome?"

My account would never do Taehyung justice, but I endeavored. Lisa must have been satisfied because she sighed and ran a finger over the bedspread.

"You miss him."

"It's not important. He's safe. You're safe. That's all that matters."

"I wish I could unbreak your heart."

"Your very existence is a magnificent help with that," I laughed.

"It's not fair for you to marry Seokjin when your heart is occupied. Tell me you won't mourn this. Even if it's from a distance, and being promised to another, you shouldn't believe Taehyung has cast you aside. This Jennie girl you spoke of wounded him so greatly that it's tainting his judgment. If he's smart enough to outwit Seokjin, he's smart enough to understand matters of the heart."

"No one is ever smart enough to understand matters of the heart. One moment, I was determined to protect you. The next..." Shame prevented me from speaking to her face. "The next, I forsook your safety and chose his instead."