Chapter Ten ~ Warm Welcomes

If there was anything that Loki missed while Thor was away on his many adventures, it was the constant ruckus that echoed across the palace halls. Of course, while he was here Loki was a constant bucket of whining and pissy moods, but that didn't keep away the melancholy that settled into the walls when it was only him.

Given that Thor wasn't due back to Asgard for many months, it was near startling when the young prince could hear the bellowing laughter and song from the servants quarters as he made his way to his chambers. The fact that it was coming from the servants quarters made it all the more peculiar; Thor often only partied with The Warriors Three.

Deciding to investigate, Loki was delighted to recognize a shanty being bellowed from the servants commons, the words pouring from a woman's belly in what sounded like delight. As he listened, the prince wrestled with himself, debating crashing what sounded like a true celebration and just going to bed. Something about that voice, he mused inwardly.

Oh.

The voice reminded him of Frigga. He recognized the song all at once, his mother teaching him to dance as she sung the lilting tune. He could remember that he kept stepping on her toes. He looked up each time, expecting to find the same look of impatience his teachers always wore, but was instead greeted with patience and unfiltered delight.

Loki shook his head, attempting to dispel the painfully delightful thoughts. Slowly pushing open the door the prince's jaw went slack when the first person he spotted was Dahlia herself, feet skipping quickly and gracefully as a man twice her size twirled her around. She was singing, the effort of both her voice and her feet moving making her cheeks flush a bright pink. Even from the back of the large quarters he could see her wide smile, one he didn't even know she could make.

"She had not been two weeks from shore, when down on her a right whale bore. The captain called all hands and swore, he'd take that whale in tow," she bellowed, laughter cutting off the verse as she nearly lost her footing, the man dancing with her catching her by the waist. Loki watched them both erupt in deep belly laughter, both obviously inebriated.

Unfortunately, the moment was quick to end, a servant spotting the royal who'd~ unbeknownst to him ~stepped fully into the room to observe.

"Oh my! Your majesty!" The small woman who spotted him gasped and bowed quickly. "Our apologies sir! We did not mean to interrupt your evening."

Loki attempted to hush the girl but it was too late, all the servants had stopped, leaving the room in a heavy silence. Dahlia herself seemed confused, looking around for the disturbance. She'd only met the prince's eyes for a moment before the large man still supporting her removed his hands and she hit the floor with a thud. She rubbed her tailbone, looking back at Loki with a deep scowl.

~~~

Fifty Minutes Earlier

Dahlia was more than happy to slip from the stables before Loki could speak to her. She'd truly had enough of the prince. In less than twenty four hours he had imprisoned her, forced her into enslavement, and disrespected her more times than she could count; she didn't even want to think of how rude the All-Father had been.

So now, as she walked down the vast halls, Dahlia found herself filled with a sense of exhausted relief. Of course, she'd already lost her way a few turns before, yet she was content with wandering so long as it was far from Loki. Thankfully she didn't need to wander for too long, a warm older Asgardian intercepting her with a tray of food.

"Hello..." Dahlia greeted carefully, skeptical of even the kind smile the woman was giving her.

"Oh! Well hello dear!" she cooed, stepping a little closer and looking the assassin over. "You must be Dahlia. I was just looking for you. Come, I've kept this tray warm for you. If you'd been in your quarters I'd just leave it but since you are still out and about you might as well meet the rest of us." The woman began to walk away. "Oh!" She turned back to face Dahlia. "My name is Lady Byron, but you may call me Lhyra."