Part 19: Surfacing Secrets

Hey fabulous readers, thank you so much for your reads, votes and comments. Please do continue.
The photo that I've uploaded with this chapter, is how I think Chloe looks.

This chapter is dedicated to harshadlr.

Alexander's POV

I couldn't believe my ears, when Josh told me that someone had tried to check into my records again, but when he told me who had checked in, my heart skipped a beat. Brianna, my Brianna. All this time, she was a spy and I gave her my everything. If it was money that she wanted, she could have just as much as said the word, and I would have handed her everything. But, it was the lies that I couldn't digest. Her betrayal was stuck in my chest and wouldn't go down. I had felt that she was different from the money sucking bimbos, that clung to me like leeches. But she was no different, she took my trust and crumpled it. I had come to a point, where I couldn't live without her. The couple of hours that we spent apart in the office, would feel like torture. But now I knew, that it was all only from my side. She was just gathering information. At first, I didn't believe Josh. I didn't think that Brianna had checked into my deepest secret, but when I got back, I found her in my office, checking information on my computer. I felt like she stabbed me with her lies and  disloyalty. But what did she want? And more importantly, who was she spying for? I wasn't angry at her, I didn't have it in my heart to be angry at her. What I felt was hurt, betrayal. Brianna was so twisted. On one hand, she was drugged and her apartment was broken into in a suspicious manner and then this. There was surely something more to the situation than met the eye and I was going to find that out.

     When Josh told me about Brianna, the first thing that I did was, to get to the office. I couldn't find her anywhere, so I thought of going to my office. To my astonishment, I found her there. I just stared at her for a few moments, the woman had spent the night with me. I cared about her so much and what did she give me in return?

When she saw me standing at the door, I saw her panic. For that moment, I didn't know who she was. Actually, what did I really know about her? Nothing. I let her into my house, my private space.

I changed my posture and stood up straight.

"So you are a spy, aren't you?" I accused.

Her expression changed to confusion.

"What are you talking about?"

"Whom are you spying for?"

I don't know why she looked so confused. It was pretty clear what she was doing.

"I know how it looks, but trust me I haven't..."

"Get out."

I couldn't let her stay in front of me or I would have done something I'd regret later. Also, I knew that I would cave in to any explanation she gave.

"Alex, I can explain."

"I said get out and don't come back!"

I could see the hurt in her eyes as they teared up. Why was she hurt if she was betraying me? She just kept staring at me, as a tear flowed down her cheek. My knees buckled and I felt like they'd lost all strength, because I couldn't bear to see Brianna crying. I didn't understand why she felt any hurt. I sat down on the floor, feeling exhausted and to calm my feelings. I held my head down.

"Brianna, please leave. Don't say anything. Just pack your stuff and leave."

I heard her sniff and then I heard her footsteps as she left. When the door closed, I felt defeated. I don't know why, but it was impossible for me to live without Brianna and then I remembered, Brianna had no place to live. And I wondered, if I should still let David and Elizabeth live in my accomodation. I thought of calling the detective to find out if they can move back. I searched for his name in my contacts and called him.