Part 14: Not Moving In

Hey guys, sorry for the delay. But I've updated now! So enjoy reading and do vote if you like.

     I looked for the letter everywhere under the mattress, but in vain. The letter was gone; stolen by the person(s) who entered the apartment.  This alone proves that the letter would have clearly lead to Burke.

I shouldn't have hid it here. It was too easy to find.

Every little clue that I had about Burke was gone. The call logs, the email in which he sent the pictures, the letter. He really must have had resourceful people. I guess, money can buy loyalty. I had just one thing that could help me out of it and that were the email prints that would help me find the CCTV footage and also a hacking expert. Wow, Burke really had gone far to protect his name this time along. I had to be careful. I heard footsteps behind me and strong arms embraced me from behind. Alex kept his chin on my shoulder and kissed my cheek.

"Are you okay, cara?" he asked, while looking at the state of the room.

"I guess. My laptop is still here."

He came around and stood in front of me.

"Don't you guys have an alarm system? And what about the security? Doesn't this building have a guard or something?"

His eyebrows came together while he frowned.

"This isn't some fancy building, Alex."

"You realise what could have happened if you were here in the house? I care about you, cara. I don't like the fact that you are staying in an unsafe neighborhood."

I looked up at him. His eyes tried to read my thoughts.

"What do you mean?" I asked him, putting a strand of stray hair behind my ear.

"I'm saying that you should move. You could come and live with me for a few days. You're still weak, you know. This kind of surrounding isn't good for anyone."

"Are you back on that again? Alex, do you realise that a week and a half ago we didn't even know each other. I am not going to move in with you."

Why was he being so difficult?

"I am not asking you to move in with me, Brianna. I'm just asking you to stay with me for a few days till the apartment is fixed and police find out who did this. Please, it will reduce so much of my stress."

"You expect me to leave my friends in the same place that you deem unsafe for me to stay in? That is not going to happen."

"They anyway cannot stay here for a few days. The cops have asked you all to move somewhere safe till the necessary investigation is done, because the person who came here had come looking for something. All the valuables are here. David and Ellizabeth can stay in the apartment complex that my company built - free of cost and it is very secure. Its only two blocks away from my apartment."

"Then why can't I stay with them?"

"I just... I just want you to be in front of me all the time for a few days. First the incident in the bar and now this. And you're my girlfriend now."

That struck a chord in my heart. I wanted to kiss him there and then for saying that. But I suppressed the storm of emotions and said almost icily,

"We have been on one date."

"Which is why you're my girlfriend." He was grinning now, which meant I hadn't concealed my emotions well.

He bent down to kiss me, but I kept my fingers on his lips, blocking the way of our kiss. He groaned. I just couldn't kiss him with everything going on in my mind, though I wanted to throw him on the naked bed. It wouldn't be right. It almost felt like I was cheating him. Too many secrets that involved him. He was hugging me now instead and I melted in his embrace. I took a deep breath to suck in the scent of his aftershave and sighed. He brought his hand higher on my back and pulled me closer. His lips were dangerously close to the skin on my neck, where I could feel his warm breath. He dipped them down to touch my neck, leaving a non-existent burning feeling there. I clutched his back at that and his muscles tightened. He tickled and nibbled at my neck, leaving soft kisses everywhere leading up to my collarbone. Woah, this was going way out of hand, but I did nothing to stop. A knock on the bedroom door pulled us out of the fantasy land and back to reality. He groaned and pouted at me. An adult guy making that face was really funny. The door was knocked again.