Celine coughed into her hand and tried to blinked back the tears in my eyes, she mumbled a quick "mhm" although I could see the need to throw up.

"Okay fine I'm a shit baker. Postmates it is." She picked up her phone off my bed and we decided on a breakfast place to order in.

Twenty minutes later, we both sat around the kitchen counter, munching on pancakes and streaks of bacon with cups of decaf coffee which I only drink—instead of regular coffee, to salvage my sleeping schedule.

"So, what's on the agenda today?" I ask, tapping my nails against the counter which causes Celine's gaze to drop down to them.

"First, nails. You're in desperate need of a manicure."

"Gee, thanks."

"The second appointment is a surprise." She wiggles her eyebrows and I feel my stomach churn. I hate surprises.

"Cel.." I start, my voice a warning.

The last time she gave me a birthday surprise I ended up drunk, throwing up expired taco bell over the Brooklyn bridge in a mini skirt at two a.m.

She waves her hand dismissively as if she knew what I was thinking about. "Oh, come on. It's nothing like that this time. You'll love it I promise." She winked.

I highly doubted that.

*

"What colour are you going for?" I ask, my eyes scanning the wide selection of nail polish colours. I take my time scrutinizing each one as if I'd choose any colour other than white.

"Hmm." Celine tapped her chin in thought.

"White?" she asked the same time I suggested it.

I swayed my feet back and forth in the warm foot tub, cringing at the feel of tiny tadpoles attaching to my skin. "This feels weird." I say, glancing over at Celine who has her head tipped back against the chair.

"They're eating off callouses its relaxing, just enjoy it."

Eventually the slimy feeling became slightly more enjoyable and I sighed, relaxing into a more comfortable position. Two women sat on either side of us, attending to our nails.

"Have any plans with Daddy today?" I opened my eyes and turned my head to glare at Celine. Knowing she wasn't talking about my actual father.

"No. he doesn't know it's my birthday, never told him." I shrugged. Alexander had texted me this morning to check up on me and let me know we couldn't see each other today, something about having a few extra business meetings which I completely understood.

The past two months had been incredible and freeing. I spent most of my free days lounging around his house in one of his old t-shirts and some sweats, occasionally playing with the kids. Not because I had to babysit them, but because I wanted to and I could.

When we first broke the news to them I was nervous. I didn't want to seem as if I was trying to replace their mother but Elena and Luca are still too young to comprehend the intensity of the situation and just seemed eager to have me around more often.

Although Luca mumbled something about me not being his girlfriend anymore because he couldn't share me with his father.

Alex and I don't show any affection in front of them just in case they weren't ready for that yet which was okay with me, whatever kept him and those children happy would keep me content too.

Celine nodded, a small suspicious smile on her face but I ignored it, instead focusing on the thought of seeing my man soon.

*