thirty-one : renesmee

"How do you think things are up at the house?" Claudia asked, watching Embry attempt to skip another rock in the river, leading to another failure

"Well, if Sam was attacking I'm sure we'd have at least smelled them coming-if not seen them. And we would've heard a fight if they snuck in the other way." He shrugged as he picked up another rock. "So probably not bad."

"You know I didn't mean fighting." She frowned, and he sighed.

"Alice said that if she had news, she could come back, didn't she?" Embry looked back at Claudia. He sighed again, dropping the rock and walking up the bank to where she sat on a fallen log. "Soon, okay? I bet Jasper isn't even back yet."

"I bet he is." Claudia pouted, pulling her legs up to her chest. "See? I told you. They don't trust me because of what happened."

"That's not true." Embry started, but Claudia whipping around made him stop. He caught Alice's scent before he could turn around, and when he did Alice was already crouching down behind them.

"How is everyone?" Claudia asked excitedly.

"Everything is going according to plan." Alice nodded with a smile, and Claudia clapped her hands together.

"That's great!" She smiled. "Is the baby healthy?"

"She's doing great." Alice's smile widened. "Though, there was a little conflict..."

"What?" Embry and Claudia said at the same time, and Alice laughed.

"Not that kind, thankfully." Alice shook her head lightly. "No, um...Edward and Jacob...had a little disagreement. But Nessie cleared it all up."

"Nessie?" Embry raised his eyebrows.

"What kind of disagreement?" Claudia asked.

"Well..." Alice sighed. "I'd better let him tell you, come on."

———————

"You WHAT!?" Claudia asked, her voice just barely being louder than Embry's laughter.

"Look, it's not like Quil didn't imprint on someone young too!" Jake defended. "And how is it my choice?"

"Her age isn't the problem here, Jacob." Claudia sighed, pinching her nose. "You're telling me that you imprinted on the daughter of the girl that you've been in love with for the past, like, two years? Are you kidding me?" Embry only laughed harder. He knew Quil was going to love this.

"Like I said, can't choose." Jake threw his hands up. "Anyway I'm not in love with Bella anymore."

"Oh, you don't say?" Claudia shook her head lightly. "Breaking away from the pack, becoming an Alpha, changing the treaty, imprinting...this really has been a week for you, hasn't it Jacob?"