eighteen : alone

"Do you think he'll ever be right again?" Embry rolled over on his side, pulling his blanket over his head in an attempt to muffle Quil's voice

"Dunno." Jake spoke. "Sam said that when Emily was rejecting him, telling him to stay away...the only thing that he thought would ease the pain would be-"

"It won't come to that." Quil argued. "It can't." The pair sighed. "I think it's time."

"Really?" Jake sounded surprised. "I dunno man, we really should leave that up to him."

"It can't be up to him anymore, Tiffany won't leave Sam alone." Quil sighed. "She's convinced it's Sam's fault."

"Shit..." Jake huffed. "Alright, let's go." Embry didn't hear them talk again, and then a few minutes later the doorbell rang.

"Jake, Quil, come on in." Tiffany's voice was sad as is flowed down the hall and through Embry's cracked door. He hated himself for a lot of things these days, but seeing how hurt his mom was over how he was slowly ate away at him. He could barely stomach to even look at her anymore. "I haven't seen much of him yet today, I'm afraid. He won't get out of bed."

"We're actually here to talk to you." Jake sighed. "It's...about what happened, what's been happening." He heard shuffling, and then the couch creaked as they sat down. "Embry didn't want you to know this, but he just wanted to keep you safe."

"What's going on?" Embry now rolled over on his back. He knew what they were going to say, but he didn't have the heart to get up and stop them.

"This is gonna sound...insane...but we swear it's all true." Quil spoke. "You can ask Sam, or Billy, or Sue-they'll all tell you the same thing." He heard Jake sigh lightly. "Jake, Embry and I...as well as Sam, Jared, Paul, Leah and Seth...we're all..."

"We're werewolves." Jake spoke up. "Just like the old legends of our tribe, we can turn into wolves to defend the tribe when the cold ones are around."

"Those are vampires." Quil added. "The Cullen family, that doctor and his wife and their adopted kids, they're vampires. Them being around is what started all this." Embry didn't want to listen anymore, so he rolled over, fishing his headphones and mp3 from his nightstand. There was only one playlist he listened to anymore, only 5 songs. Claudia had made it for him one night, right before she disappeared. Thinking of her made his heart hurt, his whole being hurt, but it was hard not to. He sighed, pulling his blanket back over his head and shutting his eyes.

———————

'You're being an idiot again.' Quil huffed as they trotted along. 'She'll love it dude, I promise.'

'I dunno, maybe she'll think it's too cheesy.' Embry let out a low whine.

'Have you met Claudia?' Quil barked a laugh. 'You know how much she loves those dumb romantic movies-even if she won't admit it. I mean, have you ever seen her watching Titanic? She cries every time.' Embry laughed too. 'Or The Notebook? Man she loves that movie. Swear to god it's her favorite.'