Stand up and fight

Joel had just finally calmed Sarah down after another beautiful day together. She had been a pleasure to be around, but then the restlessness had taken her even more that evening, and she had been whining and fussing a lot before finally coming to rest and fall asleep.
It was a struggle from hell, Joel was about to call his mum to ease his restless heart. She would understand. She have had some struggles with stubborn kids in the past years.
After that phonecall he planned to do some recording. After all, YouTube was his income. Some people seemed to believe he was just fooling around with it, but the truth was, without those videos he and Sarah would be broke. He had to keep it going, and now he was far behind schedule.

But destiny wanted things differently.
He was just about leaving the bedroom when the doorbell rang, making him jump.
-Fuck!
At first his biggest fear was that Sarah would be awakened and pissed by the sound of the doorbell.
When he teared the door open, his blood froze in everone of his veins.
There they were AGAIN!
2 policemen and 2 way too wellbehaved  women.
-Oh my God, what do you guys ACTUALLY WANT??
He forgot to be as polite as she should have been,  and he regretted it the same second. 
-Can we come in?
-And if I tell you no?
-We don't recommend you doing that, we would fix it...
-Yeah yeah, WHATEVER!!!

Joel let them in. Like, he had no choice right? At least this time the apartment was fairly tidy. Not really. Appearently not good enough for those ladies' standards.

-What do you want from me? Really? Can I help you?
Joel waved his arms in an exhausted despair.
-We just wanted to know how things are working out for you now.
-Well. Things were pretty great until you guys showed up.
-We're here to help you and Sarah.
-Hell no. Last time you kidnapped my only child. You're not helping anyone! Least of all her! She has been scared ever since that day!
-Well, we had a report and a message  of concern both given to us by a girlfriend of yours, we had to act on it.
-GOD! Like I told you last time: SHE WAS NOT my girlfriend,  I met her at a bar and we shared ONE night! After that she kept on stalking me!
-She was here, right?
-Yeah, she was. Unfortunately.
-Why do you say that?
-I was drunk!
Both the ladies rose their eyebrows.
-You think that's suitable while having custody for a child?
-SARAH WAS WITH MY FRIEND! I HAD ONE NIGHT!
-You don't need to raise your voice.
-Appearently I do. You fucking don't get it, do you?
-Do you think you have a drinking-problem Joel?
-What???
Joel laughed.
-Are you guys serious?? I was out ONE night!!
-Maybe that's why you hit women?
-What the hell?! I NEVER DID!
-She had bruises.
-You're talking about Liz now, right?
-Yes
-She could have gotten those bruises from wherever, why do they have to be from me??
-Because she told us.
-What about the things I tell you, huh? Does that matter AT ALL?
None of the 4 even bothered to answer him. Or they couldn't. 
-Did they find anything worrying at all on Sarah's body? She never had a bruise as far as I know!
No answer.
-What we saw was a grown woman and a child, both clearly out of balance.
-And that's my fault?
-This looked like a case of domestic violence, a family in terror.
-What the fuck?! Did Liz call us a family ??
-She did.
-SHE IS NOT Sarah's mother! SARAH'S MOTHER IS DEAD!!
The last two words felt like they were stuck in Joel's throat. His whole torso cramped up from an internal pain as he  spoke them.

FUCK, I MISS YOU! Where are you now?? I need you so bad!

-We know.
-Then why the hell are you fussing about this shit??

One of the policemen reached him a note.
-We have finished the investigation concerning Liz Clarkson, and we concluded by giving you a restraining order, due to having no proves either way.
-That's beautiful! I take that as a sign she's not pregnant either?
-She's not.
-Did you fear she was pregnant with your child Joel? one of the ladies interrupted.
-Not really
-It was a fair chance she might be? I thought you said you only met her once?
-I did, before she started stalking me!
-Do you think that's being a good role model to your child Joel?
-I. WAS. DRUNK!
-Is this a common pattern of yours?
-My sexlife is really none of your business!
-And if she really was pregnant?
-I would have taken my responsability and helped her raise the kid, yes.
-Should we be concerned Joel? That Sarah might get siblings from your drinking?
-Like I said: I was out ONCE! ONCE in those 2 years I ve had Sarah, I ve been out! And you know what? Even if this is really none of your business, I haven't fucked a women since Sarah's mom left me! Probably my behaviour is more decent than any of yours!
-We have to be honest about being deeply concerned about Sarah.
-Why? Just tell me why!
-Mainly because of what Liz told us...
-Which was BULLSHIT!
-...and because of Sarah's behaviour.
-How do you mean?
-She cries and screams a lot...
-Yes I know. If anybody could have told me why, that would be great! That would have made me able to do something about it!
-Have you tried to find out of it yourself?
-Yes, we have been to plenty of doctors!
-What did they say?
-They told me something was bothering her. As if I didn't understand that from before! But they couldn't tell me why!
-And the fact that she fainted?
-She has never done that before, as far as I ve seen.
-If the doctors can't find anything wrong with her, we have to believe her crying and fainting is because of some trauma of some sort. It's psychological.
And that's why we're concerned about her situation at home. Your caregiving.
-Oh, really now??
-We understand you love her and really want to give her the best, but we have our reasons to believe this is not good enough for her.

Joel could feel all his blood leaving his head, he was shaking violently and his voice trembling. He was about to pass out.
-So, you're taking her away from me again? Putting her  in fostercare, is that what you're saying?
-We're saying that might be a solution yes, but if we can prevent that from happening we would much rather help you.
-How?
-By having a consultant staying with you some hours a week, maybe every day.
-Omg. Well, you don't have to care about that, Sarah and I are leaving anyway.
-Yes, we heard something about that..?
Sweden, is that it?
-Yes. I'm taking her home to my parents.  That way I'm not alone with her anymore, so I guess you don't have to worry about that consultant.
-You believe your parents will help you?
-Well, they've raised kids before, I guess they know how, right?
-We don't know your parents.
-Meaning?
-We have to let cps in Sweden know about you. Where are you moving?
-Lerum.
-Can you write that down for us?
-Fuck, I feel defeated! If you had any idea how I've been working with that girl...!
-Where is she, by the way?
-She's sleeping.
-Can we see her?
-No
-You should really let us...
-Yeah, you do whatever you want no matter what I say, don't you?

Joel followed them into the bedroom where  Sarah was sleeping peacefully.
Joel couldn't take his eyes off of her, she looked like heaven.
-You let her sleep in your  bed every night? The lady's voice shattered Joel's picture inside to pieces.
-After you took her away from me last time I have to, yes.
-You don't think that will make her too dependent on you then?

Joel pushed them out of the room again, trembling inside.

-Well, your "help" from the one time in her life she met you  really didn't make that any better, putting it that way!!
Anyway! Now you've seen her, you gave me my restraining order, I guess you're good to go all of you then?

Joel tried to shove them all out of the door.
-I am so happy I'll nevet get to see you again! We're through!
Will you excuse me, I've got some packing to do!

Why aren't you here?? I know if you were here with me, this wouldn't have happened!  I really try my best to take care of our daughter the best way I can! It just never seems to be good enough!