Chapter 20 - The Wedding of Our Dreams

Start from the beginning

"I'm honored, but I actually don't have that many clothes. I only get maybe two new frocks a year." Charlotte said.

"I'm sure you'll fill it up." Peter said as Charlotte made her way to the bathroom to see the claw-foot bathtub and extra sink all added for her.

"Miss O'Brien's gone!" James said, running thuorgh the halls to inform Thomas.

"Excuse me?" Charlotte asked stopping him. "What's going on?"

"Miss O'Brien's packed up and fled in the night. Apparently she's gone to go work for Susan Flinchire." James said, as Charlotte nodded and excused herself to go downstairs.

"Is it true Mr. Carson?" Charlotte asked, as Mrs. Hughes was also in the office looking through the letters.

"I'm afraid so." He said, handing her the letters.

"Poor Wilkins." Charlotte muttered quickly skimming through the letters. "Has mother found out yet?" Mr Carson nodded, giving her some sort of relief.

"We're putting an advertisement in the paper right away as well." Mrs. Hughes said.

"Why doesn't Amelia help out until then? Anna is busy enough." Charlotte asked, as Amelia nodded in agreement.

"Alright you will bring up a tray." Mr. Carson said, as Amelia nodded and went down to grab a tray.

"Mama's going to be furious. I better go tell Edith maybe Mary." Charlotte said, as Carson nodded.

"I'll tell Lady Mary. I think she needs to hear it from me." Carson said, as Charlotte nodded and saw Edith coming down the stairs.

"Did you hear?" Edith asked, as Charlotte sighed and nodded.

"Its so hard to train good ladies maids now a days. I'm sure Mama's going to have fun getting the new maid to tune to what she likes." Edith said, as Charlotte shrugged.

"Mr. Parker." Carson said, opening the door for Peter as Charlotte spun around to see her fiance. Charlotte gasped and ran to give him a hug.

"What's going on? Everyone seems a bit on edge." Peter asked, handing his coat to a footman.

"Miss O'Brien packed up and left Mama to go work for Aunt Susan. We're just trying to process the betrayal." Charlotte joked, as Peter nodded and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Now, what are you doing here Mister?"

"I'm here to talk to Robert about money, land, and whatnot. My new role in the family." Peter said. "To be honest this isn't my first time going through this." Charlotte looked up at him, surprised.

"It isn't?" She asked, as Peter shook his head."Why haven't you told me this before?"

"It wasn't true love like what we have, so it didn't work out. We were paired up as children, but once we became adults we both agreed to separate on good terms. I actually came here two weeks after we decided to end our courtship." Peter said, rubbing the back of his neck. Hoping Charlotte wouldn't be mad that he hadn't told her sooner. "Are you mad?"

"No, to be honest I've also had 'serious' suitors that haven't worked out. I understand."

"How's Mary?" Peter asked, as Charlotte shrugged.

"I haven't seen her in a couple days. Probably still throwing a pity party. I'm just not bothering her anymore, she clearly still want's to be sad so I'm not going to force her to be happy for someone other than herself." Charlotte said, making sure her father or Mr. Carson wasn't near to hear what she was saying.

"It's time for you to come back to us." Tom said to Mary, as she had a dis interested look on her face.

"What would you suggest?" Mary asked, as Charlotte and Peter sat across from them.