Chapter 55: History Explained

Start from the beginning

These flames, this unbridled conviction, was one of justice.

He would not sit here and stand for these heroes to not understand the value of being able to fight quirkless.

Of being quirkless.

To have everything work against them and still, they come out on top. He knew the raw strength and perseverance it took. He had witnessed it firsthand when he was five.

At the brazen display of loyalty and trust, Todoroki found himself smiling slightly in his friend's direction, even as Midoriya's eyes started to water.

Their resident crybaby had such a soft heart.

It came down to Midoriya and Bakugou's history. One that their entire class had been let in on after their fight at Ground Beta.

Bakugou had grown up alongside their resident sunshine broccoli boy, had seen his parents treat Auntie Inko and his best friend with nothing but respect and kindness, even when others started turning on them with hostility and hate.

And Auntie, the most loving, sensitive and purest soul out of all of them, bore all the slander and discrimination with a pitying smile, always steering her son behind her or covering his ears protectively.

Never once did she fight back.

At first, he didn't understand. He didn't understand why people did that or why Auntie never spoke up for herself or for his best friend. He didn't get it.

At some point when he was five, he approached his mom, tugging on her pant leg as she worked on the latest fashion line for their company on her desktop. Instead of getting annoyed like she usually did when he bothered her needlessly during her work hours, Mitsuki had seen something in his expression because the flash of instinctive annoyance faded and she paused her work, kneeling down on the floor beside him.

Brows scrunched together in concern, Mitsuki shut her laptop without a second thought. "Katsuki? What's wrong?"

He scowled at her even tone. She had never been nurturing like Auntie Inko was, but his mother was kind and never hesitated to show it. But now with her voice gentled ever so slightly, he felt looked down upon like the confused little kid he was and he didn't know why but he didn't like it. "Why do people treat Izu different? How come they yell at Auntie?"

Why were they being so mean?

He didn't understand. Neither one of them did anything wrong and yet people always yelled at her when she hid her son behind her, protecting him from their harsh words while leaving herself vulnerable and open.

Mitsuki leaned back on her knees, understanding dawning on her features. Scooting closer, she didn't comment on the way her son started to clamber into her lap without a second thought. Hand landing in his hair, she patted his head.

These moments of closeness between the two of them were rare and far in between, both of them usually seeking out the soft-spoken and more openly affectionate third party in their little family. But sometimes Katsuki needed her and she'd never be one to turn him away.

Leaning towards him, she ensured he could see the unusual seriousness in her expression. "Kats, you know Izuku is quirkless."

He blinked. "Duh."

Mitsuki shoved down the urge to snort at his bluntness. Like mother, like son, she supposed. The reason why they clashed so often was because of how similar they were, and she knew it was bound to get worse once he got to his teenage years, but nevertheless, the fact that he showed as much disinterest in quirk status as she did was something she was glad to see. "Quirks have become sort of like a status symbol, honey."