Now why the hell did that just sound like a question? Way to go, idiot!

She regarded Rafe from head to toe, slowly, lazily, her gaze lingering a bit too long on his crotch area for his liking before reluctantly moving upwards toward his face to make contact with his bewildered eyes.

"Are you that new doctor that was supposed to come down from North Carolina to look in on one of our terminal patients? You know, the cancer specialist or what not?" She looked excited about it but all he could do was stare at her stupidly.

He raised a brow in confusion. "Eh?"

She giggled at that. "Aw, you must be feeling overwhelmed by this whole arrangement and I really don't blame you one bit." she cooed. "But don't worry, you'll have gloves on the whole time you're examining him so the gay germs won't get you, I promise."

He just stared at her hard, trying to understand what in the heck she was talking about and why she would come to the conclusion that being gay was something that could be spread by simply touching someone.

Did she even know what she was saying right now? Probably not, seeing as how blondes were supposed to be, well...dumb.

"G-gay...germs?" he asked with a stutter. I mean what else could he say to that? Not only was he confused as hell, he felt anger rising up within him for some reason and right now, he didn't really trust himself to say more. He just might go off on her for how indifferent she was to be saying something so heinous.

She leaned closer after looking around to make sure no one was listening in.

"I heard it say that the man you're supposed to be here to examine is as gay as Elton John, if not gayer." she whispered conspiratorially. "I've never seen him of course because they keep him all the way at the end of ward F where no one can trespass but I've heard enough about him to know that most everyone here is afraid to go near him for fear they'll catch the gayness that practically seeps off him in waves."

Rafe reared back and stared at the small woman in horror and blatant disgust, his ears ringing with every word she spoke, his anger becoming an almost breathing, living entity with how it had escalated alarmingly and grown within him.

His hazel eyes darkened to the point of black, his fists clenched tightly at his sides of their own volition and something dark and menacing took over his usually gentle and calm nature. He was irate.

He was furious!

He leaned low and practically skewered the babbling nurse with his intense angry glare. "Show him to me." he said lowly, dangerously, his body shaking with his palpable fury.

Why he should care so much, he had no idea but mistreatment of the sick and dying would not be condoned by him in any way. The fact that they were doing so because of his preferences only added fuel to the already scorching fire inside him.

She looked away from the intensity of his stare and fidgeted nervously where she stood. "M-maybe you should sp-speak to Mr. Sheldon before you go in to see him, sir." She said shakily, her words stuttering a bit. "You know, so he can brief you on the patient and all that kind of stuff."

He grabbed hold of her wrist, tired of hearing her insufferable voice and squeezed. Hard. "I don't need a god damned briefing little lady." He growled, jerking her closer so their noses almost touched. "And I will not ask you nicely again so bring me to him now!"

His voice which had at one point been low and almost polite, had escalated in both pitch and volume, surprising even him with its almost bestial like quality. It was unnerving to say the least for he rarely ever raised his voice.

What surprised him even more though, was the fact that he had just basically manhandled the tiny woman before him not even caring whether she would have a bruise on her arm tomorrow or not. He'd never in his life put his hands on a woman in anger.

What was wrong with him?

He abruptly released his tight grip on her wrist and mentally shook his head, trying to clear it so he could think straight. He couldn't fathom why he would be so incensed about this whole matter. He didn't even know who that man was for crying out loud!

So why was he suddenly livid on his behalf?

He stepped away from the nurse, not trusting himself to remain close and bowed slightly while extending his hand with a fake flourish as if to say 'lead the way but step on it lady.'

Step on it? What was the hurry? He didn't even know and the fact that he didn't have an answer, irked him.

====

Don't forget to vote please. It motivates us to wanna write more for you. Thanks luvs!