Chapter Sixteen: Checking Out?

Start from the beginning

"Clarke, I saw you swipe your card" Lexa says. "Fine. Merry Christmas?" I say. "It's October" she says laughing. "Seriously, I can pay" she demands. "Seriously, your not. Matt, tell this beautiful women she's not paying" I order. "Your not paying, miss woods" he says laughing. "Cool. Clarke's paying. Lexa, Aden, you got your wetsuits. I'm hungry, so let's go get food" Madi says. I nod in response, ignoring the look from Lexa as finish up.
Seriously, did she really think I was letting her pay? That's ridiculous.

"Alright, I'm done. Matt, it was a pleasure as always" I say. "Please, the pleasure is mine" he says embracing me in a hug. "Take care ipo (sweetheart) and you too keiki 'ōpio (young child)" "Hey! I'm not that young!" Madi protests. Once we finish our goodbyes, we leave, taking once last look before getting in the car.

"Thank you" Lexa says softly. "Like I said, anything for you" I say honestly. "Oh!" I say remembering the hoodie. I reach in the back for the bag and get out the hoodie. "This is for you" I say as I give it to her. "What's this?" She questions. "A hoodie" I reply simply, making her laugh. "Ok, sure. But why do I have it?" She questions...genuinely confused. "Well, it's for you" I reply. "Oh. OH. Thank you" she repeats with a bright smile. I smile back as she cuddles it.

We begin making our way home (we stopped to get pizza about halfway through). We were all content, listening to music as we drive. One hand on the wheel, one hand on Lexa's thigh (innocently).

Madi had my phone, her phone died and while it charged I allowed her to have mine. Which really had me thinking, can she really not be on a phone?

"Clarke, your getting a call" Madi announces. "From who?" I question looking in the rear view mirror. "Chris" she states. "Just let it ring" I demand. I really didn't feel like talking to him. Not after what he said to me. Not after being disrespectful to Lexa.

"Now he's texting you. He says he wanted to say sorry" Madi says. "I don't really care" I say honestly. "Clarke" Lexa says. I understand all she said was my name, but her tone said so much more.

"I don't want to hear what he has to say, Lexa" I say honestly. "Just. Hear him out. He's clearly sorry" she insists. "Ugh, why do you have to be such a good person?" I groan making Lexa smile. "Call him back, Madi" I say.

She calls and it immediately picks up on the Bluetooth in my car. "Clarke? Clarke, hey" Chris says quickly. "Yeah, hey" I say coldly deserving a poke in the side from Lexa.

"I-I just, I wanted to say I'm sorry. About-about everything. What I said, and the way I acted. I-Uh it's no secret the way I feel about you, so I don't know. I guess seeing you with someone again got me a little upset. So I'm sorry" he says. I only rolled my eyes as I said "I'm not the one you should be saying sorry to" "Right. Is Uh-your girlfriend and her brother there? So I can apologize?" He questions. "Lexa and Aden?" I question.

I didn't want him to refer them as what he did. They have names. Lexa isn't only my girlfriend, she's her own person. Just like Aden isn't only her bother.

"Yes. You-you know I'm not good with names" he replies. That is true, he's never been good with names.

"Yeah, they can hear you" I say. "I-Uh-I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. For what I said to you both. I was out of place, and was wrong to say anything" he stutters out. He was never good at admitting when he was wrong, and even worse at apologizing. But still, I can hear it in his voice he means what he says.