Eigteen - The End

Jenna's Point Of View

I had checked my phone fourty-six times.

I had't even realized it was possible for me to unlock and relock my phone that many times, but somehow Tay managed to accomplish that without really even trying.

Tay managed to have that effect on me often. She took my breath away from me anytime we shared the same room and I was always desperate for some sort of contact with her. I wanted her to call me, asking to join her in doing something again even if we had just spent the entire day together.

That's why each and every time I checked my phone and the same blank screen came up, I continued to be devestated. I just wanted her to tell me something. Anything. The silent streak she had been keeping up was beginning to get on my nerves and I wasn't sure how much longer I would be able to handle it. She had me hooked on her and I was helpess but to just give in.

In frustration, I slammed my phone down on top of the couch cushion beside me and stood up. I couldn't remember the last time I had brushed my hair so when I tried to run my fingers through it, I was stopped by plenty of knots that got in my way.

I just needed to clear my head, but I couldn't even begin to think of a way to do that. Again, my stress relief had always been Tay and with no contact in over a week, I almost felt like she was just ignoring me and even if I did try and contact her it would just be met with silence and even more blank phone screens left with no notifications.

When my hair was knot free and frizzy from the finger combing, I sat back down on the couch to check it once more. I had internally decided that if my screen turned up blank I was jusg going to have to hide my phone from myself so I wouldn't be compeled to check it every few seconds. It was like I thought she was going to text me in the two milliseconds that I had forgotten to check my phone.

To my surprise though, when I pressed the home button again, a notification of a missed call popped up with Tay's contact attatched to it. How had I missed that? I suppose it takes longer to brush hair than some might think.

Anxious to see what Tay had called for instead of just texted, I death gripped the phone in my head as I clicked the smiling contact picture of hers and immediatly pressed the phone to my ear.

I could hear the rings and with each one I began to wonder that maybe I had just imagined the notification, that I had been so desperate to talk to Tay that I had just imagined a call from her. I still couldn't imagine what she could be mad about anyways.

Even thinking as far back as a couple of months ago, I still couldn't think of any situation that I had handled in a manner that may have upset Tay. Maybe I had just missed it? Or pushed it from my memory?

When the next beep hadn't come yet, I held my breath, until I heard a familar "Hey, Jen" followed by a not-so-familiar "We need to talk, like, now."

The phrase sent a shiver down my spine and made my stomach feel with spiders, crawling around in my insides and making me even more nervous. Her tone didn't sound pleasent and I was somehow not looking forward to this conversation despite the amount of time I had spent checking my phone for her.

Without her even telling me that I needed to, I sat down on the couch and put my head in my free hand. I paused to just let her continue, even the silence of a quick nod or pause sounding somehow awkward and leaving a short tension now. Just another sign I wasn't going to like whatever this conversation was going to be.

"Jen... Jenna. I don't think this is working. We just need to end it."

As soon as she said it, I felt more confused than I felt sad or dissapointed. I had thought this had been going nicely, I had thought both of us had been happy? Or was that just me?

The confusion soon turned into anger and I stood up from the couch, actually managing to push it back a few inches so it ran into the table sitting behind it.

"What even is this? Some break up? Over the phone? You didn't even have the decency to come over to my house and say this to my face?" I hadn't noticed my voice growing louder until my mom's head poked through the doorway to give me a confused look that I just ignored.

My mom hadn't been around enough to have heard of Tay and I being a 'thing' and now she never would.

"I.. uh.. I mean..." I could hear her voice cracking, but some part of me didn't even care right now. While I would have usually have tried to calm myself down, I was beyond that point.

"Yeah, save your fucking lies, Taylor. I'm glad we had this little chat. Don't bother calling this number back."

Furious, I didn't even give her a chance to respond to my hateful message before hanging up and throwing my phone onto the couch, not being mad enough nor punk enough to actually want to break it.

I had thought I would regret what I had said soon after, but days passed and those days had turned into months, and I had eventually moved onto somebody else. And she had apparently too.

Her hands connected with some boys in the hallway as they walked to class together, Tay practically swooning with every word as her eyes shown like stars everytime she looked at him, but when I watched all of this, all I ever felt was content, knowing I had better things in my future. Without her.

---------
Can I even still call this Jardougall now?
Anyways, here you go. This is the end I suppose