Chapter 11

Chapter Eleven

I rushed to get to work on time. But I needn't have bothered. I ended up letting my replacement cover court until lunch. Because when I got to my office I found Autumn Bravatten outside my door. "Autumn, what the hell are you doing here."

She got up and said, "Why does it feel so natural when you call me that?" and came in for a hug.

I thought, 'What the hell!?!' but I hugged her anyway saying, "Because it's the only name I ever knew you by. And I'm guessing if Joe ever calls you that, and he's the only one likely to know the name, he only uses it to throw your past and probably me in your face."

"Has Jan been talking? You seem to know his father pretty well." She asked laughing.

"Hmmm, I'm trying to sort through all the Jans I know trying to think of which ones we might share in acquaintance, and more so which ones have dads named Joe. But doesn't matter, I was talking about Joe Bravatten, your husband." I said, trying to look puzzled.

She was looking exasperated and a little angry. I remembered one of the reasons it didn't work out; she was perfect sexually as far as being up for anything, but she never got my jokes and seemed to resent me making them. "And I was talking about Jan Bravatten, my son. I have no idea what he is to you, that's part of what I'm here for."

"He's nothing to me. I don't know the lad. If he's anything like his dad, I'm sure I wouldn't approve." I said, getting a little snarky and letting some of my anger at Crumpet's situation transfer to her.

"That's just it. He's nothing like his father. Which culminated a few weeks back with his father kicking him out of our house. At which time he went to live with you. I appreciate what you've done for him, but it's time he reconciles with his family." She was no longer angry, now she was getting sad and starting to trip my pity button.

"It is becoming obvious that you are trying to refer to my ward. My ward is Lily Malagua now Malagua-Daicev not Josef Bravatten's son. She is nobody's son. She arrived at my house with emancipation papers, legal paperwork signed by her father." I substituted a pause for the 'and' between papers and legal. "I feel, while she might like to get to know you better, I seem to be the closest thing to a family she has."

"Varian, I don't want to call you a liar, but I know you can magically copy a signature onto something else. You put my mom's signature on more than one absence excuse." She said.

"Autumn, I wouldn't expect you to know this, being neither a mage, nor in the legal profession. But there are spells to check the validity of signatures that guarantee a trick like that would be inadmissible in court." There was actually a big enough gap between what was possible with magic and what was institutionally believed to be possible that half my abilities were beyond the legal parameters of possible. And kenning, the specific magic Crumpet suggested, left a finished product I wasn't sure even I could tell from real. "I wouldn't allow this to go to court if I was harboring Jan Bravatten with fake documents. But I'm not. I'm caring for a girl of indeterminate parentage with completely valid emancipation documentation."

She looked enraged and stricken and confused in turns, finally pulling herself together and saying, "Varian, stop fucking with me. This is my child. I just want to know what's happening with my child."

"Oh your child. I thought you were asking about Jan Bravatten. Your child is well and happy. She won't go back. She would rather your husband's lawyers left us alone." I was glad she got it. I wanted to give her the information she wanted and be rid of her. But I insisted on doing it on Crumpet's and my terms.

"What is your relationship with him?" She asked.

"With who Autumn? With your husband's lawyer? I know him by reputation. we've never met. When you just say 'him' I don't know who you refer to. I think it's more important we focus on your child." Apparently she had not yet caught on.

"Okay her. Her! HER! Varian, what is your relationship with her? Why did she go to you?" Autumn yelled.

"Because her mother is still in love with me and from a young age constantly told her I was everything Joe Bravatten wasn't. I am her guardian and friend. Somewhere between foster father and big brother. I'm infatuated with her, but not in the same way you are infatuated with me. Instead, in the way you should be with her. She is an amazing, funny kid who even when she fucks up it's charming because it is so obvious she learns from her mistakes. You are not good enough to be her mother, but maybe you could be one day. Joe Bravatten is a sperm donor with delusions of ownership she must be protected from."

She was getting angry, "You don't know everything Varian. I love my husband. And we will get our son back. He is a sick boy. He needs his parents."

"Alright, Autumn." I said. "This meeting is over. Be happy to talk to you again if you find you can control yourself. If not, well maybe we should just communicate through your lawyer."

She turned and stormed off without another word.