Doctor's Note

STEVE's (Maddie's dad) POV

       Doctor Stout pulls me outside Room 327 leaving my baby in there alone. I'm scared he will tell me that she is not going to survive that I will loose her like I lost her mother.

       "Yes, doc." I say nervously.

       "I am afraid that your daughter may not be able to dance again; her sugar has not been stable for the past three hours, and she will most likely have to stay in the medical tent for the night." Doctor Stout said.

       I cannot stop looking over at my daughter, this is her dream.  Dance in Broadway musicals: she always wanted I play Belle from Beauty and the Beast. She just wants to make her mother proud.  But, if she cannot dance, then she can become a teacher and go to JC where she will be close to me. I can protect her and keep her safe. I know that is not what she wants though, she wants to be the exact replica of her mom.

        "But, she will be better when she returns home tomorrow, right?"

        "Well, she is going to have to stay a couple more days so we can take some blood test and put her through the Cat-Scan."

         "Can I stay here with her?"

         "Mr. Smith, she is eighteen, it is her choice."

         "Okay. I'll go and talk to her."

MADDIE'S POV

         My doctor pulls my dad out of my bedroom.

Nothing bad could of happen yesterday, it is not my first time to faint. How could this reaction be any different from the others I've recently had?

             My dad is constantly looking over his shoulder at me through the tiny, rectangular window. He seems furious, sad, and worrisome. I watch as Doctor Stout walks from my door to his office. Dad walks in, sits in the chair next to me, and grabs my hand.

          "Hey Dad, is everything okay?" I say as I feel his fingers interlock with mine.

          "Well, they are going to be keeping you here for the next couple of days to do more test."

          "Okay, nothing new. But my next test is still in two months and eighteen days." I keep track of the days I have to return to the hospital, so I can keep track of if symptoms improve or worsen.

          "Well, the Doctor said if you want me to stay I can, but the decision is yours to make."

          Whoah!! He letting me decide. I have never made my own decision without my dad's opinion. If he stays, then he will know if something is really wrong, but if he leaves then I could tell him nothing is wrong; he will let me go to Juliard if I'm alright, if not I have to go to JC. I am his baby, but he can't keep treating me like one.

         "No Dad, I think I am going to be okay by myself." He looks agitated, like I should have let him stay with me. I want to prove to him that I am responsible and I can take care of myself. To me, It is not that big of a deal, but something is bothering him.

        "Well, you will be paying the bill." He jokes as he walks through the door. "I love you, call me every night, try not to flirt with all the cute Doctors. Goodnight, Buddy."

        That was it, I was alone in my room -room 327- well, me and this jello that I'm about to eat. Then, I will be alone.