Shit-face

"Think you're gonna stick around some more, though?"

I ended up spending the night at the Curtis's. I slept on one couch while Johnny slept on the other. Soda, Pony, and Darry slept in their own rooms. Everyone left around midnight but it took lots of convincing to get Dallas to leave. He was worried about Johnny and I understood. Johnny was like a little brother to him and seeing him hurt and not being able to do anything about it sucked. 

My eyes flickered open when I heard the door open. 

"Rise and shine," The cocky voice shouted as he barged through the door. I sat up and rubbed my eyes trying to get my vision to focus. I heard Johnny shuffle on his couch too. Before long, Soda, Pony, and Darry were up. 

It was no surprise that Dallas would be the first to come. A half-burnt cigarette is between his teeth. He takes it out and puffs a cloud of smoke before diffusing the tip and flicking it back outside into the yard. "Good morning beautiful," He says shoving my legs off the couch and sitting where I once was. 

"Good morning shit-face." 

"You know, I just complimented you and you call me 'shit-face'."

"You know, you woke me up and shoved my feet off the couch." I shot back still trying to wake up. "Shit-face," I repeated. 

Johnny sat up and he already looked better. His face had returned to its normal color and no blood had seeped through the bandage. Dallas got up from my couch and walked over to Johnny's. He started asking him how he was feeling and he said better so that was good. 

Soda came and took Dallas's place. "You think it's safe enough for me to go back to my house again?"

"Damn, didn't know you were so eager to get rid of us." His voice was tired but still full of humor.

I laughed a bit. "Yeah, you greasers stink." I teased. "Nah, just want to be able to go back there if I need to."

"Think you're gonna stick around some more, though?" He asked. "I mean, could be just me, but I think the gang likes you. And not in the like 'I want to fuck her so I'm being nice way' I mean like genuinely like you."

"Don't know if I should be flattered or if I should run away, Soda." 

He shrugged. "Safe to do both." 

Once we finished talking to him I stood up and walked over to Johnny. I dug in the back pocket of my cargo pants and pulled out the switchblade. I knelt in front of him. "Take it," I said holding the folded blade to him. "I used to keep it in my pocket all the time once I moved here but I think you need it more than me." He took the bronze handle and fiddled with it between his fingers.

"Thanks, Y/N."

"Anytime." I smiled softly at him. "We'll change the bandage tonight, cool?" He nodded his head and I turned to leave. 

I walked back over to the couch I was sleeping on and grabbed my coat that I used as a blanket and flung it back over my body. "Where you going?" Pony asked from the kitchen. 

"Gonna check back at my house, make sure it's safe there again." I felt empty without my knife to protect me if I needed to but I knew it would make Johnny feel safe again and that's all that mattered. "If I'm not back in two hours, can someone come check on me?"

"One of us could go with you," Darry said from where he was next to Ponyboy. 

I shook my head. "No, I think I'll be ok but just in case, you know?" Darry nods his head and I reach for the handle of the door. 

"Wait," Dallas stands up and walks over to me, fiddling with his pants.

"Woah, man. No need to strip for me."

He scoffs. "In your dreams, doll." He pulls out a gun instead.

"Okay, shit. Put the gun back. Don't murder me."

"As much as I would love to, I won't. It's unloaded. Like your knife, I always keep an unloaded gun with me in case someone draws on me. It scares them away. And since you don't have your knife, take it. You don't know much about this town. But it's not fun most times especially these parts."

I take the heavy metal gun. It was a lot heavier in my hands than the knife. But I felt safer with this than with nothing. 

"Now seriously," I said as I put it into my waistband. "I'm leaving."

The boys said goodbye to me as I let the scream door shutter shut before I skipped down the stairs. My feet hit the pavement and I started walking home.