05, routine of ours

IT'S NOW BEEN A MONTH since Trinity and Daphne arrived at the Glade, and the girls were finally starting to feel at home

IT'S NOW BEEN A MONTH since Trinity and Daphne arrived at the Glade, and the girls were finally starting to feel at home. Trinity was out all day with Minho who was training her to be a runner. Daphne spent her time in the Med-Jack hut, messing around with chemicals and patching up whoever walked into the tent. Whatever time she wasn't playing doctor, she was with Newt.

Sleeping was getting harder for her. Every night she would wake up with nightmares, flashes from the life she used to live, the person she once was. After Daphne would climb down the platform and sit down by the river, where Newt would join her later. From there he talked her to sleep, just rambling about whatever was on his mind. And that used to work.

After falling asleep to Newt's voice, Daphne would sleep calmly for the rest of the night. But now the nightmares were getting worst, waking her up faster. She was sleeping less and less, waking up next to Newt and just staying up til morning.

The nightmares helped her learn. They helped her remember who she was, but she barely got bits and pieces.

Her name was Daphne, and Trinity and her were adopted by their father when they were very young. Daphne guessed two or three years old. He was a scientist, but the dreams never told her his name. What she learned was that her father is the reason she knows everything in her head. She's never actually seen flashes of him teaching her when she was young, but she heard his voice and then a higher pitch voice, which she guessed was herself.

While she was learning the periodic table and the quadratic formula, her father was teaching Trinity how to fight, how to run as fast as possible.

What Daphne didn't understand that if their father taught them so much, he had to have cared about them. Then why would he let them be sent to the maze?

-

Daphne rubbed her eyes as she walked into the Homestead, standing in the line for food. When it was her turn, Frypan smirked at her, "Geez, she-bean, you look like shit."

"Aw, you're so sweet," Daphne mumbled and Minho turned around to look at her, who was in front of her in the line for food. "I didn't get a lot of sleep last night."

"What? Did cuddling on the grass with Newt not give you all the rest you need, princess?" Minho joked and Frypan laughed, Daphne rolling her eyes.

"What are you shanks up to?" Trinity walked up to the group, grabbing a piece of bacon from Minho's plate. "You good, Daph?"

"Yeah," Daphne nodded. "Kick Minho's ass later for me."

"Always, little sister." Trinity smirked and grabbed a piece of bacon from Daphne's plate. She dropped the bacon on the ground when sirens began to ring throughout the Glade, making Daphne cover her ears. "Fuck, why does that sound familiar?"

"New Greenie." Minho smirked and Frypan jumped over the kitchen counter before the four ran out of the homestead. All the Gladers gathered around the box as Newt and Gally began to open it. Newt's eyes fell on Daphne for a moment before looking back down.