quarter two: minute eight

"i swear to god, if someone makes me even think about school before august third," sooyoung announces, dropping her school bag onto the couch. jisoo tosses a melon bar at her, which she catches gratefully, the melon flavored ice cream dissolving on her tongue.

"so i guess i did get all the intelligence genes in the family!" jeno says with faux expression of surprise. sooyoung sticks her tongue out at her brother, collapsing onto the couch in their living room in exhaustion, drained from having just finished a week of finals.

"and i got all the basketball genes. what about it?" sooyoung shoots back. jeno fixes her with a glare, to which jisoo giggles and tells him that it's not nearly as intimidating as he would like to think it is.

"speaking of basketball, why do you think they're pushing your season all the way until next semester?" jisoo asks, getting up to throw out her own ice cream wrapper. jeno sighs and rolls his eyes, making his voice deeper to imitate their principal.

"because of the unfortunate circumstances in which many basketball players were unable to play, and the fact that there was a serious of infractions committed by other high schools, the northern conference has decided to push the basketball season back to the months of august through october." sooyoung groans, hanging so that she was upside down on the couch.

"i hate to break it to you but as team manager, i really don't want to have to manage you guys for any longer. i mean, just last week, in the game against jyp prep, i nearly had to substitute for that one idiot - yunki or something? the non-starter - because he kept blocking renjun's defense," sooyoung says snidely, finishing her melon bar. jisoo, who was still standing, accepts the wrapper from sooyoung, throwing it in the trash can.

"you have to admit that the team has gotten better though. before, whenever i watched their games, it felt more like a group of individual players rather than a team. now, at least each person works together, and jaemin doesn't do those stupid tricks anymore," jisoo says, tucking herself into jeno's side. sooyoung mimes throwing up, twisting so that she was sitting upright on the sofa.

"wait, speaking of teams, do you know why the other high schools racked up so many infractions? i mean what the hell do you have to do to get enough infractions to push an entire season back?" sooyoung contemplates, her mind running through the different possibilities.

"oh, that? one of the high schools decided to get smart and host a party with alcohol and smoking. most of the other basketball teams were there and someone snitched to the police," jeno says, sniffing at the mention of underage drinking. for all his straightedge-ness, he was pretty alright with the stupid stuff the dreamies did. but he drew the line at underage drinking/smoking and none of his friends, or teammates, were exempted from that.

"gross. you guys literally have a year left. they couldn't wait for one year?" sooyoung says with a disgusted tone. jisoo laughs, but her face grows a little more somber, as if she was uncomfortable with the topic at hand.  

"you never know the stupid things people might do when they're in tough situations," jisoo says, somewhat sullenly. the air grows somewhat awkward and jeno clears his throat.

"no one's pointing fingers. and besides, you're not doing that shit anymore, right?" jeno says gently, asking more for himself than sooyoung.

"yeah, i'm not. i quit pretty much the day i met jaemin. i'm just saying that judging people without knowing their circumstances might not be such a good idea, you know?" jisoo says, a little too firmly. sooyoung shrugs casually.

"hey, as long as you're not doing it anymore, that's cool. in america, it's vaping, and here, it's drinking. honestly, the problem's everywhere. but i still don't think that it's cool to do that kind of stuff," sooyoung says. jisoo mulls that over, the silence that follows becoming a little less tense.