3. Looking For a Sign

The sick and twisted thing is, Tine still loves his wife. He really, really does. After all, she is the mother of his child.

But he also loves the strong, muscled planes of Sarawat's back, all sharp corners and corded muscles. There's nothing soft about Sarawat, nothing yielding, and yet Tine keeps coming back. He craves it, wants it all the time; the taste of Sarawat's skin hovering on the edge of his tongue.

He could, he thinks, hate himself for this (if it wasn't so damn good).

____________________
"I think my wife knows."
"Knows what?"
"That I'm cheating."
"Does she know ..."
"That you're a man? No. God, no. Her head would flip."
____________________

Just this one time, Tine promises himself. Just this once, and never again. Never again, not even when he sees the way Sarawat looks at his wedding band, the way he looks at his phone and scroll through his pictures, why, he'd ask.

Why do you do that?

I want to see if you really love her. I want to make it hurt.

And there it is, the flare of jealousy Sarawat can't contain, but something in him is twisted and dark and different and fucking scary, too. Tine isn't sure which one he's jealous of, but Sarawat shouldn't be looking at his wife like that.

But that isn't to say that Tine doesn't get jealous because he does and Sarawat's wife calls, that clingy bitch calls constantly, all the damn time and Sarawat calls her baby or darling or honey and he takes the call out and comes back smelling like cigarettes. When Tine pulls away he'd say it's because of the cigarettes when really, it's his wife's sordid existence that irks him.

Lips cracking — it doesn't seem to matter how much he licks them, they are always chapped and sore — but Tine walks through his home feeling mostly deserted these days.

It doesn't seem to matter how much he doesn't want this to happen. He seeks Sarawat out anyway.

____________________

And that's how he takes a position out in Bangkok that pays a whopping six figures with his lover's name in mind.

He tells Sarawat instantly, flies over and undoubtedly, he was more than happy, couldn't stop kissing him the entire night.

We'll get to see each other more often!

Yeah! That's the goal, isn't it?

What about your family?

The ones who pays for his selfish actions are his family.

Mrs. Teepakorn gets a call in the middle of work that was concerning her daughter and she immediately drives off to her school in record time. She sees Malee on a chair in a corner with bruises darkening on her arms and face in the principal's office. Her lips part in a silent gasp and her face softens into an expression of pain and fear that was once subtle and eloquent.

"Mama, I'm sorry."

"What happened?" her voice teeters perilously on the brink of control.

"Another playground scuffle. This time she picked a fight with a group of older boys."

Mrs. Teepakorn nods absently, already kneeling before her daughter and cautiously reaching out to touch the bruises on her face.

"Let me see." Her voice is soft but firm and her delicate fingers flutters over Malee's cheek, gently tracing the orbital bone, searching for signs of fracture. She lightly touches her daughter's swollen mouth and unconsciously catches her own lip in her teeth when Malee winces.