16

Daphne and Elliot's apartment was small and quaint and seemed quite perfect for the two of them

Daphne and Elliot's apartment was small and quaint and seemed quite perfect for the two of them. The first thing Emma smelt when walking inside was the hot food and another smell she couldn't quite place; it was one of those individual smells each home had, and this one made Emma feel comfortable and relaxed. It was almost like magic.

Daphne had insisted on giving Emma and Draco a tour of her place, and showed them the bedroom and how she had decorated it along with its ensuite. The second bedroom was set up for Elliot's music studio, as he had explained that he wrote songs and recorded them himself, hoping to be recognised by the right people someday. Draco had looked at all the technology as though it was the inside of a spaceship and as though he had no idea how he'd gotten there. 

After giving up trying to explain to Draco the use of the technology and how it worked, Daphne and Elliot led Emma and Draco back towards the dining room which overlooked the kitchen, where Elliot and Daphne took turns cooking. 

Emma looked above the fireplace mantel, where photographs sat, and all along the walls decorated with canvases and giant frames of Daphne and Elliot together. They had a giant canvas hanging on the wall above the fireplace of them at their wedding, and photos all around of them having travelled and out having fun, and their first night with their cat, Hank. 

"Hank?" Draco raised an eyebrow. "How do you look at a kitten and name it Hank?"

"Same way one looks at a newborn and names it Draco I suppose," Daphne retorted, coming over to Emma and staring up at the photographs with her. Daphne pointed at one in the centre of the fireplace mantel. "This was when we went to Japan, and this was us on our hike by Mount Fuji. And this was when we first adopted Hank. Oh, and this was us in New York. America truly has the best pizza. Since adapting to life with Muggles, I've had a lot of pizza. And beer."

Emma was truly amazed at all the adventures Daphne had gone on, and seeing photos of just Daphne and Elliot, she couldn't help but wonder the one thing consistently crossing her mind, but she would not ask it. 

"You've gone to so many places," was all Emma said, gazing at all the photos. "If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you afford all of this, especially with that big wedding?"

"Mother and Father may not approve much of my marrying a Muggle, but that doesn't mean they didn't leave me quite the fortune. Despite all my travels, I'm being smart with my money by living in this small apartment and living off leftovers most days of the week. Elliot doesn't do too bad either, some of his songs have sold."

Emma nodded. "And Elliot knows that you're...?"

"A witch? Yes. He wasn't even freaked out like I thought he'd be, no, he was excited -- first thing he asked me to do was make a pie and cheesecake appear out of thin air!"

"Wouldn't that be something?" Emma laughed, as Elliot carried a dish and placed it in the centre of the table. 

After a few minutes, there were multiple dishes with multiple different kinds of foods. Daphne assured Emma that these were not leftovers, but that she and Elliot had done some last minute shopping because they weren't sure what Emma and Draco liked these days.