• Chapter 17 •

Start from the beginning

~~~

It was a little later and Julia was just hanging out in camp. She was curious about where Octavia was going – probably to meet the grounder – but she wasn't going to leave the camp alone again. Not after what happened last time.

So she waited until she noticed Finn slip out of camp. It didn't take a genius to figure out that he was going to find Octavia, so Julia slipped out of camp and started following him, about to catch up to him. She figured if she went with him, it would be safe enough.

Finn glanced back and saw the young girl following right behind him. He didn't say anything but placed his hand on her shoulder, keeping her close to him as they left the camp. He knew it was dangerous outside of camp, but he also knew that she was stubborn and if she decided to go with him she wasn't going to change her mind, so he decided to just stay with her and keep her close to him.

~~~

After walking for a little while, Finn and Julia came upon Octavia and the escaped grounder talking in the woods. Then they switched from talking to kissing.

Finn stepped on a branch, alerting them to their presence. The grounder spun around, pushing Octavia behind him and pulling out a knife. Finn also had a knife in his hand.

"Finn? Julia? Lincoln, wait, wait! He's my friend." Octavia held Lincoln back from attacking Finn. Finn made a point to show Lincoln as he held his knife out to him. Julia looked at the knife and noticed it was the one Lincoln had stabbed Finn with.

"I think you lost this." Finn spoke to him. Lincoln took the knife from Finn and then led everyone into his cave.

"So what the hell are you guys doing here?" Octavia questioned her sister and Finn as they looked around the cave. There was a fur blanket on the floor, there was a fire-pit, and there were a few pots and weapons around.

"We could ask you the same thing. I could also ask how long you've known he speaks English, but I won't." Finn said and then picked up a horn off of a ledge and showed it to Lincoln. "You blew this when your people were hunting us. You saved our lives. I have to believe there's more like you."

Lincoln didn't look like he believed that Finn was here in peace. "I stabbed you." Lincoln reminded him.

"And we tortured you." Finn responded and Julia decided to jump in. "If the two of you could get along, there has to be hope for the rest of us."

Finn nodded at the young girl before continuing her thought. "Learn from history instead of repeating it, right?"

"How's that gonna happen?" Octavia questioned them. "For starters, no more killing." Finn said and Julia agreed. She had had enough of death. Jasper and Murphy almost being killed... Trina, Pascal, Wells, Mbege, Roma, Diggs, and Atom actually being killed. It was more than enough for Julia.

"I don't have the power to call a truce." Lincoln informed them. "Then bring me to someone who does." Finn said and Lincoln looked away and scoffed.

"Hey, look. The rest of our people are coming down here. The first ship lands in two days." Finn started and Octavia nodded. "It's true." She confirmed for Lincoln.

"And because of the attacks, they're sending mostly soldiers, the people that enforce our laws. The Ark is about survival at any cost, and they'll kill people who fall out of line. When those people get down here if they feel threatened, they will start a war, and I don't want that. Neither do you, and I think that's why you blew that horn. Once the soldiers get here, it will be too late, and we'll have no power to stop them, but if they see that we're at peace, then maybe we have a chance to stay that way." Finn told Lincoln.