55│I TAKE THEE... RACHEL

Start from the beginning

Veronica's leg was shaking under the table as she thought about possibly getting a new job. When her leg cramped she decided she'd had enough and that she was going to call Phoebe. She smiled when she saw someone at their table had a phone, which he was currently using. She leaned forward and plucked the phone from his grasp and called the apartment phone.

"Hey, sit back down, buddy," Joey glared threateningly at the man when he saw him lean over towards Veronica, "I will kick your ass all the way to New York."

"And I'm sure we're all very excited that Ross and Emily are getting married at Montgomery Hall. I mean to think, my friend is getting married in Monty Hall," He chuckled before he scoffed when no one laughed, again, Oh, come on! Monty Hall! Let's make a Deal! Come on, you people! All right, forget it! Congratulations, Ross and Emily," He finished dryly and sat down with a huff.

"Okay, now you can have some champagne," Veronica offered him a flute as she waited for Phoebe to pick up the phone.

He took is gratefully and downed it in one go as Joey stood up to give his own speech.

"Hey, best man number two, Joey Tribbiani. Now I'm not good with the jokes like Chandler here. But I just want to say congratulations to the happy couple. I first met Ross in this coffee house back home..." He trailed off sadly, "Home. New York City. Where everybody knows my name. Well anyway, I love you guys. But not as much as I love America," He sat down and looked to Chandler and Veronica desperately, "Could we please go home now?"

"Joey, we only have two nights left in London," Veronica said as she rubbed his hand sympathetically, "You can make it two nights."

"No. No, I can't," He shook his head vehemently.

She leaned into her boyfriend and kissed his cheek. "Well, if you go back early then that means I'll be all alone at night. And y'know I was thinking we could do the thing you like tonight."

Joey's eyes widened. "Wait, the thing I like doing or the thing I really, really like doing?"

"Both," She giggled at the smile that spread on his face, "So, do you still want to leave?"

"I'm not going anywhere, baby," He grinned at her.

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

Veronica had gotten a phone from the Waltham family which she kept with her at all times. She was still waiting to hear from Phoebe once Phoebe heard from the law firm.

There was a false alarm when Phoebe called to tell them that Rachel was coming to London. At first, they'd been happy until they found out she was coming to tell Ross she loved him. Veronica knew all about Rachel's feelings for Ross but they'd had a talk about it before she left, or several actually. And Rachel had decided that it was too late for her and Ross.

It seemed she was taking those words back now.

So, Joey and Veronica had tracked down Monica and Chandler so they could all keep a lookout for Rachel. So far they hadn't seen her in the hotel and they were at the venue now. Joey looked around for any sight of Rachel as he walked around the venue but still didn't see her.

"Psst, Monica," He whispered as he made sure no one was around them, "Alright, we really need to start looking out for Rachel. Ronnie and me will cover the front door. You watch that big hole at the back of the building and I got Chandler covering Ross."

"Why would I care where Chandler is?" She scoffed awkwardly, "You know, uh, sometimes I don't even like Chandler."

Joey stared at her weirdly for a moment before he shrugged. "Okay."