My Enemy, the Planning Committee

Start from the beginning

"Um, that's simple. We're going to confront them head-on, obviously."

"Head-on? How the hell do we do that? Do you want me to ask her myself? Are you crazy?"

"Of course not, dummy. I would never ask my Hayato something so personal. That's why we're going to join the Planning Committee ourselves."

And that's how we somehow found ourselves the day after that standing outside the door to the cultural festival Planning Committee meeting that was already taking place

And that's how we somehow found ourselves the day after that standing outside the door to the cultural festival Planning Committee meeting that was already taking place. I stared at it in all of its dull, undecorated glory, and it stared back, reminding me of everything that had taken place in that room during the cultural festival preparations last year—and all of the work I had to do because of it. I was not particularly fond of that room. I was even less fond of it when Hayama caught us standing outside through the circular window panes on the door that let you see in and out of the room and walked over to greet us with a smile on his face. It seemed like whether we liked it or not, there was no turning back on the plan any longer.

Originally, I thought Miura's plan to join the Planning Committee was stupid and completely insane. With preparations for the festival well underway, what good would it have done to join the committee then? That wasn't even to mention how it was easily the fastest way for them to suspect that we were up to no good. If we wanted to know if Yukinoshita and Hayama were really dating, wouldn't it have been better to follow them home after school and see if they made any secret visits to each other's houses? That's what Hikigaya Hachiman, the Normie Hunter, would've done. If only society wasn't so unfair to Normie Hunters like me, because doing so would've probably also gotten me arrested.

Hayama opened the door to greet us, and the entire meeting stopped. Everyone's eyes were now focused on the newcomers that had just arrived, wondering what on earth we could have possibly wanted from them this late into the cultural festival planning process. Yukinoshita too, but she seemed additionally confused by the fact that I had actually taken the initiative to go anywhere for once on my own accord. I turned my eyes back to Hayama, who smiled at us as if we were right on cue.

"Yumiko! What a surprise to see you here! And Hiki...tani-kun, was it? Did you have business with the Planning Committee?"

"Oh, H-Hayato! This is, like, totally such a coincidence! I didn't expect to see you here!"

"Are there any seats? Because we're here to sign up for your stupid committee. I also hope you wipe that smile off your face and go die in a fire."

"S-Sorry, Hikitani-kun, w-what was that?"

"I asked if we could join the Planning Committee."

"Really?! That'd be great! We're a little short on hands right now. We could use all the help we can get!"

"Um, I know I said being on the Planning Committee was super lame and all that, but I totally had a change of heart! Now it's, like, totally cool as! Right, Hikio?"