Chapter Four

The evening had rolled in with a cold breeze. Clouds filled the sky, and a starless night went on for miles. Kassie's eyes dropped to her hand where on her ring finger sat a delicate sapphire ring. Marie was quite the expert as she believed herself to be. The ring Jasper had purchased was exquisite. The blue stone was small and oval shaped, perched on a silver band. It was simple and delicate, and despite the stark difference between Robert's ring that was a shiny but rather plain band, Kassie could not lie to herself. She enjoyed how it looked on her finger, but she hated that a small smile came to her lips looking at it. It felt like a betrayal of Robert.

Her hand caressed her still flat stomach at the thought. It made her feel ill to think she was about to walk down the aisle and into a marriage that felt so false. But the ring on her finger proved that she was just as low as those she had once looked upon in disgust. How the tables had certainly turned on her. 

The day they had went to the jeweler to purchase it still was fresh in her mind. The moment she had taken Jasper's arm replayed itself in her mind.

She felt so unsure of herself. Her fingers played with her shirt, fiddling as she avoided looking at him. He had such an intense gaze. Those dark eyes had haunted her dreams the previous night.

The soon-to-be wedding had played out in her mind. Her dress had felt too tight, and upon looking down, she understood why. The white fabric was pulled taunt across her swollen belly. When she faced back to Jasper, he was no longer there. Robert was. He looked completely sorry as words were in her ear. Names she did not even think to repeat in her mind were tossed upon her and her child.

Despite her racing thoughts, she still wound her arm around his when Jasper offered it. For the baby, she thought to herself. For her baby. Tears sprung to her eyes, thinking back to it. How her life had been completely altered by such a little person who she had yet to meet but loved so completely.

"Oh, Kassie, my dear," Mrs. Davis cooed as she gently shut the doors behind her. "You look so nervous."

"She's been pacing the whole night," Eliza giggled from her bed. She was brushing her long blonde hair out in smooth waves left behind from her daily braid. "But I do not blame her. Mr. Keyes is a fine gentleman. He was very kind when we fetched her that ring." Eliza gestured to Kassie's hand before starting to pull her hair back into a fresh braid.

"He does seem like a nice young man." Mrs. Davis hesitated for moment before sitting on the bed beside Eliza. Her eyes remained on Kassie however. "But admittedly, I do wonder if you are not rushing into this union. We had no idea of it until recently, dear. You are not being pressured into it?"

The only pressure was one of time, she thought. She was already starting to see somewhat of a change in her stomach. Kassie forced a smile as she went to sit beside the two woman. Mrs. Davis wrapped her arm around her shoulders as Kassie leaned into the crook of her neck.

"No, I am not," Kassie lied. "We kept our courtship quiet. We just did not want a scandal if anyone found out. You know, with the whole inheriting." She sighed softly as Mrs. Davis brushed her hand over her hand comfortingly.

"Well, perhaps in that case, it is a good thing," Mrs. Davis tsked. "We wouldn't want any rumors going about town. People are always just looking for a reason to talk."

"Mama," Eliza laughed, "Kassie's reputation is in good hands. She is probably one of the least scandalous people I have ever met." Eliza grinned at Kassie. If it weren't so untrue, she would have laughed. Instead, she forced a smile on her lips.

Lord, her cheeks were going to start hurting from all the false smiles that she had been committing to recently. Was this to be what the future held for her? False smiles to accompany a false marriage.

"Eliza dear, would you pardon Kassie and me? I need a moment alone with her." Mrs. Davis said it in a polite question, but one would have to be a fool to take it as a request.

Kassie watched Eliza reluctantly nod before standing. However, as she passed her mother, she quickly turned her head and shot Kassie a sly wink that told her everything. 1. That Eliza was going to be listening outside the door. And 2. Mrs. Davis was about to give her the talk. It was a conversation that was alluded to when the girls first started going to balls at seventeen. The not-so-secret secret of what happened between man and woman in private, which should be avoided until the wedding night.

Kassie felt like she was going to be sick. Whether it was from the baby she carried or the fact that her motherly figure was about to tell her about something she already knew of, she had no idea. All she knew is that her pained expression was not enough to deter Mrs, Davis as she took her seat beside Kassie, hairbrush in hand and a trying smile on her lips.

"Shall I brush your hair one last time?" Mrs, Davis said softly. Kassie nodded and turned so she could access her long dark hair. She heard Mrs. Davis inhale sharply, almost as if she were crying or about to start crying.

"Kassie, dear," she started as she gently pulled the brush through her hair. "You are about to start a new chapter in your life. With a husband at your side, there comes many changes. There being-"

"Mrs, Davis, please," Kassie pleaded. "You don't have to tell me about that." An awkward smile came to her lips as she looked over her shoulder at the older woman. "I do have some married friends, you know," she lied smoothly.

"Very well, dear." Mrs, Davis exhaled with such relief that Kassie was sure she shared the same amount of enthusiasm talking about what happened in private. Especially to someone she treated like a second daughter. "Did you have any concerns or questions? It can be somewhat frightening."

Kassie only had one, but she was not about to hint to her condition. Would he expect to still consummate the marriage, even when she was pregnant? It certainly did not sound right to her, but she was not about to ask Mrs. Davis. Instead, she asked a much easier to answer one.

"I'll still be able to visit, right?" Kassie questioned. A lovely smile came on Mrs, Davis' lips as she nodded.

"Oh, darling, you'll always have a place at my table," she said as she pulled her into a tight squeeze. Kassie returned the hug. How she did not want to let go.

How she did not want it to be tomorrow.

•••

The morning did not wait, despite her pleas long after Mrs. Davis left the room and Eliza had returned to her bed. Eliza's soft snores were enough to keep Kassie awake, even if they did not typically bother her. Annoyed with herself and her useless tumbling and rolling under her covers, she spent the night trying her best to sleep. But her restlessness lasted until the sun peaked over the horizon.

When she saw the first light stretched it's fingers into the sky, she couldn't help but have tears pool in her eyes. Kassie did not wish for much. But Robert was the one thing she allowed herself to wish for. She was so confident that had he received her letter, he would have been packing straight away to come and fetch his bride. Whisked her away to some small chapel and exchanged vows. She would have worn her best dress. He would have looked as dashing as ever.

But any future that she imagined for them was dashed away by most likely some thief. Some thief who took away the chance of a father knowing his child. Some thief who had no idea who he stole away from the world in such a cruel manner.

Kassie allowed herself to cry. She stifled sobs that begged to escape her, but she allowed heavy tears to rain down off her cheeks like those from a storm. When she had cried, all she thought she could, she quickly wiped her cheeks and sucked in deep breathes. She did not want to worry Mrs. Davis, who would no doubt be by her bedside to rouse her for her wedding.

Good lord, her wedding. That made fresh tears pool in her eyes. How was she going to make it through this facade? Her pillow was wet with the evidence of her tears so she quickly flipped it and sat up. As if on cue, Mrs. Davis cracked open the door and peered into the room.

"Good morning, Kassie," she greeted. "Let's get you ready!"

Another false smile was plastered on Kassie's face. Her cheeks already hurt.