Chapter 6 - Embarrassment

Just as I finished that thought I heard possibly the most tender sounds of a piano that I had ever heard before.

Asahi's POV:

I halted immediately in my tracks, taking in the sounds of the piano and the voice that seemed all too familiar.

The familiar voice rang out in a beautiful melody, filling the room and escaping through the cracks in the window where I stood and listened.

I slowly made my way up the stairs, forgetting my purpose to find y/n, just attempting to hear the voice all the clearer.

I cracked open the door just enough to slip inside and enter the building. I walked slowly down the hallway, trying to pinpoint the exact room in which the piano and voice came from.

I tried to make as little sound as possible, which was harder than it seemed with my large body.

I finally pinpointed the sound to be coming from the door of a practice room to the left at the end of the hall.

As I approached the door, the mysterious musician began another song. It sounded like it was out of a dream.

Anxiety bubbled up in my stomach as I slowly opened the door, praying it wouldn't make a sound. 'Let's hope this is y/n or I'm going to have a lot of explaining to do.' I thought.

These thoughts were halted as I set my sights on the h/l h/c hair that I immediately recognized as y/n's.

She sat slumped over the piano, her slender fingers daintily hitting each note as the chords rang out through the air.

I stood there in awe, probably longer than I should've, just listening to her play. She really was talented. She embodied the music and played it with ease, slightly emoting in different sections of the song.

Everytime she messed up, she would click her tongue and try again, and every once in a while she would simply lay her head down on the keys with tightly shut eyes- and a loud BANG would play out.

'Cute'

She played a few minutes longer and I watched as I stood leaned up against the doorframe, forgetting long ago my purpose for being here. She once again laid her head on the keys.

But this time

We locked eyes.

Y/N POV:

"AHHHH ASAHI WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!" I jumped up as soon as I caught eyes with the tall boy leaning against the doorframe, my scream also startling him as he jumped a bit and then immediately stood frozen in his spot.

I frantically looked around the room to see if anyone else was in here,  I was already dying of embarrassment, I couldn't handle if more than one team member was here with him.

'Oh my god I can't believe he heard that all, not to mention he was watching the whole thing!! Oh no. What if he heard me sing. Please tell me he didn't hear me sing,' I pleaded in my head as I turned back to Asahi, who was still frozen in his place.

"Y-you ran o-off and I c-couldn't find you f-for practice and K-kageyama said you'd b-be in h-here y/n-chan," He stuttered out, slowly regaining his composure.

My face went blue. 'Practice? Oh man I totally forgot...'

I scurried over to him and looked right at his face before yelling out an apology.

"I'm so sorry for running off - I-I just was caught up in my thoughts and I came here like I always do. I'm also really sorry for scaring you! Please forgive me Azumane-san!" I yelled out and bowed at a 90 degree angle.

Asahi reached out and placed his large hands on my shoulders and stood me up. When I looked up at him he was shaking his head.

"N-no need to apologize y/n-chan. Plus I thought I told you to call me Asahi!" He replied with a smile.

I don't know how he was so calm right now. Maybe he felt bad for me.

That was probably it because I felt myself completely burning up. I'm sure I was the reddest I've ever been in my life.

'I don't think I've ever played or sung for anyone besides myself or my family...I'm never going to live this down.' I shuffled a few steps back, taking myself out of Asahi's reach.

I just stared down at the floor, hoping the redness would fade quickly.

"I uh, never knew you could play the piano y/n," Asahi chimed in. I felt my face turn 10 shades darker and I melted down to kneel on the floor, my face in my hands, "y-you're really talented."

"Thanks Asahi," I muffled out through my hands, "I think you're the first person that has really heard me play besides my family. I'm too embarrassed to even play for Daichi or Kiyoko."

Asahi was surprised. From his small time of knowing her, y/n was an outgoing and confident girl, this just seemed unlike her.

I lifted my head from my hands and peeked over to Asahi. He looked right back over to me with concern lacing his face. I started to laugh.

"Whenever I play at home Tobio always yells URUSAI Y/N at me." Asahi's eyebrows lifted, but settled as I saw a slight smirk form on his face.

"Does he also call you BOKE!!" Asahi replied, cracking a smile. We both stared at each other for a moment and burst out laughing.

"ALL THE TIME!" I replied, continuing to laugh until I was laying on the floor and my stomach hurt.

I liked laughing with Asahi. Usually he was timid, but I'm beginning to like getting to know him better. I smiled to myself and looked over at Asahi and caught his eyes once more.

"Well we should probably head to the gym right?" I said putting my arms behind my head, getting comfortable even though we had to leave.

Asahi grabbed my backpack and walked over to me with a hand reached out, "Yup, I've been gone far too long now. They probably think I got lost," he said as I grabbed his hand and hoisted myself up off the ground.

I closed the piano and locked the practice room door before we headed outside to go back to the boy's volleyball gym.

I stared at my shoes as we walked down the pathway to the gym. I was still embarrassed he heard me play the piano and sing, but I didn't want him to feel bad.

As we reached the door of the gym, I stopped him.

"Uhm, could you maybe, not tell anyone you heard me singing or anything. It's really embarrassing, and I'm not even sure why..." I said, once again looking down at my shoes.

Asahi chuckled, "yeah, sure y/n."

A/N:
HEHEHE I hope you guys liked this chapter! Y/n and Asahi are slowly getting more friendly and comfortable with each other! Please make sure to vote and comment! It really motivates me! Also share this story if you can! Thank you so much and I hope you all have a great day!