Prologue

AN: This is one of my first fanfictions, so thank you for trying it out! Please Like and Comment! Constructive criticism is always welcome. I will try to have a consistent update schedule, as I know how frustrating it is when you come to the end of a story and you want the next update to come quickly.

Disclaimer: All rights belong to J.K. Rowling and Warner Brothers. I only own (some of) the plot.

Prologue

A baby's wail split the silent night, the only thing alerting the parents to something amiss.

"It's him! Take Harry and go! I'll hold him off!" the man yelled to his wife, turning to face the door. It opened of its own accord, squeaking slightly.

The woman had just turned the corner with her one year old son in her hands when a figure stepped into the room. He was shrouded in a black cloak, and no one could see his face. But they didn't need to.

The man was dead before he could defend himself. A flash of green light, and he was gone.

The figure wasn't done. He leisurely stepped around the body and made his way up the stairs, giving the woman plenty of time to panic. Their fear was always so enjoyable to him, for he had had many conquests like this, and he had learned what he liked to make them feel before they died.

The foolish woman had backed herself into a room with no way out. She bravely put herself in front of her child, which she had placed in a crib. But she didn't need to die.

"Stand aside, you silly girl!" The prophecy must not happen.

"Not Harry! Take me instead! Please, not Harry!" The woman was crying, but the man felt no mercy.

"Avada kadavra!" The woman slumped to the floor, no longer with a pulse. It was a shame she had to die, but some things must be sacrificed.

The figure turned to the baby in the crib. The one year old stared back, clearly not comprehending what was going on. The man raised his wand, ready to say the words to end its life, when a noise stopped him.

It was the sound of wood creaking. He hadn't noticed before, but there was a second crib in the room, placed in a dark corner.  He had to admit, it was a better hidden than the other one, seemingly unintentional.

A girl was standing in it, dressed in a little skirt that came to her knees. She had to have been as old as the boy, but she spoke in a clear voice.

"Who are you?" She didn't cry, like her brother had started to.

"I am Lord Voldemort, insolent child, and all will bow before me!"

The little girl only blinked. "Oh, hello Tom. I didn't see you there. That's a good disguise you have on. Did you dress up for Halloween?"

"How dare you speak that name!? How do you know that name?" Voldemort didn't even care that he was arguing with a one year old.

"You said it, didn't you? Tom Marvolo Riddle. I am Lord Voldemort. Mother and father have been talking about you a lot, when they think I can't hear."

"Enough of this! You are but a baby!"

"You haven't chosen an heir, have you?" The girl continued, unaware that she shouldn't be able to pronounce these words, much less know the truth behind them.

"How-"

"By the end of this night, one of us will be your equal. The prophecy you showed me said that. But you can choose which one of us, and if we are going to be on your side or not."

"I have told no one about that prophecy! No one can read my mind! I am the most powerful wizard in history!"

"If you were, why can I read your mind?" the girl asked, giggling.

Voldemort glared at the child. It shouldn't be possible for a half-blood to be so powerful! And so smart! But, he had to admit, she did speak the truth. He hadn't chosen an heir yet.

Their strange conversation was interrupted by another wail from her brother.

"He can't speak yet," the girl whispered, as if confiding a secret. "I have to pretend to be as slow as him. Normal. It's dreadfully boring. Could you help me?"

Despite the bloodlust clouding his brain, Voldemort could understand the exasperation in the girl's voice. He had once been forced to pretend that he was normal as well. He now could draw more similarities between them. Obviously, it was possible for a half-blood to gain power. Just look at him! Maybe she did have a point... It was more this than anything else that made him do his next action.

"What is your name, child?" he asked in a softer tone that he didn't know he possessed. 

"Lily Potter." She wrinkled her nose. "All their creativity went into planning for a boy's name as soon as the witch told them it was a boy. No one expected she was going to have a twin girl."

Gently, Voldemort held out his hand to the child. She eagerly wrapped her tiny hands around it.

"I, Tom Marvolo RIddle, aka Lord Voldemort, hereby make this child my heir, her name changing to Layla Lilith Gaunt-Riddle. She will inherit all my fortunes and estates, and will have all the abilities of a full-grown witch, including the abilities of the Heir of Slytherin. So mote it be."

The girl, now Layla, could read what she was supposed to say in Voldemort's mind. "I, Layla Lilith Gaunt-Riddle, hereby accept Tom Marvolo Riddle's, aka Lord Voldemort's, gift of heir apparent, and all the responsibilities and abilities that come with the title. So mot it be." There was a flash of green light as the contract sealed itself.

"Remember your vow, little one." Tom Riddle placed Slytherin's locket in Layla's tight grip.

With a snap of his fingers, Voldemort transported Layla to the Riddle Manor, and then turned to her brother, little Harry Potter.

And the rest, they say, is history.

The Girl Who Died- Draco Malfoy Love StoryOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara