Chapter 3: Too Slow

"Achoo! Ahh, darn it!" Izuku had to turn his body mid-air to prevent smashing head-first into a building.

These past few days he had tried to subconsciously draw out 25% of his power into his Air Force super move, but without concentration, he still fails from time to time. Just a moment ago, as he tried to accelerate himself like Kacchan with his explosions, he sneezed and Air Force had gone totally off target, causing him to fly sideways.

"Are you even trying?!" Kacchan hollered beside him, his spiky, ash-blond bangs whipping across his face in the wind. From his hands, too-loud explosions propelled him through the air.

"I'm still having trouble using it subconsciously! If only I could save some time and mind on the limit enhancing part and be able to use 20% without too much consideration, but that would mean..." Izuku found himself muttering.

He tried again, aiming his finger at the moving ground below. As gravity took over him and he started falling, the boy flicked his finger, releasing a sudden push that sent him flying again. Better, but still not fast enough.

"Too slow!" Izuku heard Endeavor's gruff voice say as if reading the teen's mind. The fire hero had slowed down to a moderate pace so that he could keep an eye on the streets below for any slight anomalies.

It's been two days into the hero work-studies internship. Izuku, along with Kacchan and Todoroki, had been studying under the current number 1 hero of Japan. And boy, Izuku had learned a lot. As expected -- his goal was to surpass the fire-shooting pro hero. However, the three interns have yet to succeed in capturing a villain faster than Endeavor.

Suddenly, the hero accelerated. The heatwave from his fire blew Izuku into focus. Kacchan cursed. Todoroki grunted. Another round, and Izuku told himself, this was the one they were going to win.

After pursuing the pro hero along several streets, the three interns saw the thief. He was pushing past surprised citizens as a woman and a man chased behind.

Izuku heightened his speed, but the veteran hero was still a quarter block ahead.

"Dammit!" Kacchan bellowed, as Endeavor swiftly captured the run-away thief.

Izuku instantaneously started analyzing the chase, strategies and areas of improvement soaring through his head.

The number 1 hero took out a wallet and a phone from the thief's bag as the two chasing people finally caught up.

"Thank... you, Endeavor!" The man said between breaths.

"Is this your phone?" The hero asked.

"No, the wallet's mine." The man replied, taking the wallet gratefully.

"That's my phone, thank you so much, Endeavor!" The woman bowed.

"Too slow again." Endeavor said to the three interns the exact moment his phone rang. The hero picked up, expressed consent, then hung up. He seemed to consider something for a second, then turned to the interns.

"Have you three ever handled the procedures after the villain is apprehended?"

All of them shook their head. Till now, the sidekicks have taken care of caught villains.

"Very well. Practice now, since patrol is over anyways. You can head back after you're done."

"What about you, Endeavor?" Todoroki asked.

"Something urgent came up at the agency that needed me personally. Mostly gonna be calling and paperwork, nothing you can really learn from. So your work-studies would end here today. Any other aberrations, report it to the sidekicks."

"Yessir!"

With a blast of his quirk, Endeavor soared away.

"Ugh, I thought heroes should never stop and dwell at one trouble," Kacchan muttered. But since the number 1 hero thought this situation was a good exercise for them, none of the three questioned Endeavor's choice.

Of course Kacchan wanted to hold onto the criminal, so Todoroki checked on the people who were shoved and pushed during the chase. After making sure the police would arrive, Izuku felt a pat on his shoulder.

"Yes, ma'am?" It was the woman who got her phone stolen before.

"May I ask your hero name?"

"I'm Deku, a hero intern at the Endeavor agency."

"Uh, so, Deku. I'm not sure if this is important, since Endeavor didn't ask about it, but it's something that happened before all this. So should I tell you or wait for the police?"

Her words attracted Todoroki's and Kacchan's attention. It wasn't every day that the number 1 hero failed to notice something.

"Feel free to tell us, ma'am."

"Ok." She took a deep breath.

"I was walking back from work around 10 minutes ago, when this robber threatened me in the alleyway over there. Then a person in a yellow costume literally fell from the sky and knocked the robber out. The person called himself... Transfer... wait no, Transverser. He said he was the best hero."

Izuku tilted his head in confusion. He never heard of a hero called that. Unless that person was a low-ranking sidekick or something.

The robber suddenly cried out. "That yellow costume guy literally held me by my neck on top of a building and dropped me down!"

Kacchan glared at the robber he was holding down. "You don't get to talk, you criminal!"

"Is that true? Did Transverser actually do that?" Izuku turned to the robber.

"Deku, be careful what the criminal says. He might be lying, trying to get out of trouble." Todoroki warned.

"Anyway," the woman continued, "I thanked Transverser for saving me, and I ran out because I was really shaken up. Later, I realized my phone was missing. So I headed back, and then I saw Transverser fighting two other people. One in a red costume, the other in black."

Villains? Or heroes? Izuku tried to process the information.

"I got scared so I stayed away. Then I saw the robber again" -- she pointed at the criminal Endeavor captured -- "who just stole a man's wallet. The robber was also holding my phone, so I chased him alongside the wallet man."

"So, you saw two villains, one in red, one in black, fighting against a hero called Transverser?" Izuku confirmed.

When the woman nodded, Todoroki thanked her. "We appreciate the information. We'll report it back to the Endeavor agency, and they would take care of it."

The police arrived, hustling the robber inside the car.

Izuku summoned his quirk, strengthening his body. With a few leaps, he was at the opening of the alleyway the woman pointed at earlier. There was no evidence of fighting. The alleyway was clean and tidy, an old utility pole standing near the back. 

"Do you think the woman made a mistake?" Todoroki asked. "Because if there was a battle, Endeavor must've noticed it."

Izuku nodded. "Otherwise someone even faster than Endeavor must've finished up the fight with no mess." 

Kacchan sneered. "If there's anyone who can wrap up a fight faster than Endeavor can see, I'd like to meet them. Villain or not."

A/N: Hi thx for reading! New chapters will (hopefully) update every Tuesday and Friday.