Chapter 41

"Yes, don't worry at all. Rylee is in good hands."

Her parents shut the door as Adnan and Ander loaded cardboard boxes of Rylee's belongings into her car. I had just briefly spoken to her parents about Ander. I told him that he was a great guy and said that everything would be fine. They seemed a bit upset because their daughter was leaving home. They still did have her younger brother who was fourteen. I've never met him though, Rylee says he's always with friends. I don't even know his name.

Adnan backed out of the driveway first, to allow Rylee's car to back out. He pulled over to the side and rolled down the window.

"Scarlett!"
"I'm coming!"
He leaned to the side and opened my door from the inside, "Hop in."

Adnan rolled down all the windows and my hair was blowing everywhere. I quickly tied it back to prevent it from flying in front of my face. The music blasted through the speakers and the car shook. I sang along to the music.

"I'm so fancy! You already know!"
"I'm in the fast lane," Adnan joined in, "from LA to Tokyo!"
"I'm so fancy!"

We screamed so loud, I swear, the whole world could hear us. After the song, my throat was sore and it hurt. Adnan coughed a bit to clear his throat. Maybe we sang too loud...

"You're so fancy," he told me.
"I already know."

I did a pose in the seat of his car. I was totally model material. We manipulated the lyrics some more before we reached Ander's house. The boys unloaded and carried the boxes inside, leaving Rylee and I to unpack. We took the boxes with clothes upstairs, first. I helped her transfer her stuff from the boxes to the dresser. Ander's room was a good size. It was almost as big as our room, just a bit smaller.

"Coming to the party?" Rylee questioned, stopping and waiting for me to come down the stairs.
"Yeah, I wasn't sure at first, but Adnan and I have decided to go."
"That's great! I'm really excited for it."
"I've got mixed emotions..."
"Girl, don't worry, you'll be fine," maybe she was right, everything would be ok.
"Yeah, I guess so. What are you planning to wear?"
"Oh my gosh!"

From her reaction to that question, I knew I had made a mistake. She was going to go on and on about her outfit. Oh no, what did I just get myself into...

"I want to wear a dress, but I've got this adorable metallic gold skirt. It sort of shimmers and had this shiny belt. Also, I want to wear a strapless black top, as well. It'll look so cute! Maybe do my makeup with some gold eyeshadow... Or smokey eye? I don't know!"
"Rylee, Rylee! Calm down, you're going to look gorgeous."
"Thanks, what are you going to wear?"
"I might go with a skirt and top, too..."
"You know what?!"
"Wh-"
"Let me plan what you're going to wear!" She cut me off.
"Um..."
"I can lend you some of my clothes, if you like, or I can go over to your place and help! I've got so many ideas-"
"It's ok, I can dress myself, Rylee," I felt kind of bad shutting her down.
"Oh, yeah," she laughed.
"Sorry."
"No worries, if you ever change you mind, give me a call," she winked.
"Sure will do. I just got a crazy idea."
"What?" She asked, eagerly.
"What if you became a designer of some type? Maybe create your own clothing line?"

Her face lit up. I might have just shown Rylee the path to her future.