ꦼ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ

Start from the beginning

“Gentleman,” Cutting off Gui Wan’s deep thoughts, Fiery Xi Shi takes back the account book that no one looked through, lightly saying, “The matter you told me to find out about, is already showing signs of a positive outcome.”

Those words seems to have attracted a great amount of interest from Gui Wan, taking back her eyes that were gazing out afar, her brows slightly twitches, an appearance as though she is all ears.

“This imperial court is split into two factions, it is a fact known by all, one faction is Prince Duan, one faction is Prime Minister Lou, but during this past month, we have exhausted all means, practically looking into every members within the Capital, and finally found that this imperial court is far from being so simple. On the surface, there are two lines within the court, but there is actually another group that is the “protect the emperor” faction, Prince Duan has the unique power of the imperial family, Prime Minister Lou has the power of making military and political decisions, as for the military leadership power, it is held in the hands of the renowned Lin military clan, the Lin clan holds unwavering loyalty, can be said to be the force that the current emperor can truly depend on.

“The Lin’s military forces has been scattered outside the north and southern borders of the Celestial Empire, his majesty wanting to rely on this to protect himself, is it not no different to faraway water sources unable to quench his nearby thirst?” That highly unpredictable Son of Heaven would quietly resign himself to his death just like that?

“That is the second important point that we have found out,” Fiery Xi Shi deliberately sells this climatic plot, acting mysterious as she says, “Do you perhaps know, there are some officials within the Capital, appears to belong to Lou, Duan, both parties, but are actually ministers that holds unwavering loyalty to the imperial family?”

“What you mean is, some people could possibly be deliberately placed by Lou, Duan’s sides by the his majesty himself?”

“That’s right ah, the more I investigate, the more I feel this Capital City truly is a pool of dragons and tigers, impossibly deep.” Fiery Xi Shi worriedly sounds a sigh, although she does not know exactly what this “gentleman” is guarding against, but has already revealed a faintly entangled connection with the imperial city.

Gui Wan knits her brows together, “All of this, how did you find out?” If everything really is as San Niang has said, within this officialdom, everyone acting like the enemy of the enemy, then it really is difficult to distinguish them clearly.

“I followed your orders, buying two merchants that takes the route from Qu Zhou into the Capital, these two guilds originally does business with the imperial palace, many goods within the palace has been bought from the outside world through the channels of these two guilds, now they have already been secretly transferred under gentleman’s name.”

Silently praising her, Gui Wan reveals a smile, politics within the imperial court comes from the bigger hands, whilst women in politics has always shown their prestige from little places, this is the ingeniousness within the battles of intrigues, the so called eight immortals crossing the sea[1], is nothing more than each making a show of their own supernatural powers.

Seeing her smile spread open, Fiery Xi Shi could not help but to cheer up also, sitting across from Gui Wan, after smiling, her worries once again rises, unable to refrain from mentioning: “Gentleman, why do you have to investigate all this? Could it be……”

This word of could it be did not dare to add anymore words after it, only afraid that seeing the root of all this, she herself will have difficulty in leaving all this chaos.

Seeming to understand the complicated conflicts within San Niang’s heart, she lightly savours the clear tea, Gui Wan changes the topic: “San Niang, in your opinion, if his majesty wants to become the sole power holder, what should be done?”