- ', [rumors] ꒱

"I knew it, I knew you two were dating," Akari grinned at me as she stopped me mid hallway on the way to class.

"Keep your voice down," I hissed at her, and then sighed, "And no, Kuroo and I are NOT dating."

"Is that why he kissed you infront of hundreds of people at a volleyball game, then?" Akari smirked at me, and I sighed again, rolling my eyes.

Just yesterday Kuroo had decided to kiss me right before his volleyball game. I wanted to die right there.

It wasn't like we hadn't kissed before.. but in public? In front of all those people and my old team? I suspected he was trying to send some sort of message to Sugawara, who I'd been talking to right before I had walked to Kuroo.

After the game, I didn't feel like dealing with any of the people or Kuroo, so I had just quickly rushed over to the Karasuno side (who had lost the game, btw), and told them that we'd have to meet again soon, and they agreed.

Right before I walked out, however, Kiyoko told me something about how she knew I liked Kuroo, and now here I was with Akari who was telling me basically the same thing.

"I know what it looks like," I tell Akari as I notice people walk by and glance at me, "But we aren't dating."

"Riiight..." Akari grinned, "So he just kissed you for no reason-"

"Will you stop bringing up that kiss?" I groaned, and then looked around to make sure the coast was clear, "Look, the truth is, me and Kuroo are kind of... friends... with benefits?" I trusted Akari enough to tell her that much.

Akari's eyes widened, "Woah.. really? For how long?"

"None of your business," I told her, and she laughed.

"Okay, fine, so you guys aren't dating yet," Akari crossed her arms, "But it's only a matter of time. And when you guys make it official, I will say I told you so."

"Go ahead," I told her, "Because Kuroo made it pretty clear he didn't wanna be more than that."

"Yesterday's afternoon says otherwise," Akari told me, and I just groaned again, ignoring her and going to class.

In class, I noticed Kenma sitting at his usual seat and I lifted my hand to wave, but he looked away the moment we made eye contact.

Okay, there was definitely something weird going on with that guy right now. But I had my own shit to deal with right now. I'd figure out what was up with him later. 

After school was finally over, I walked outside the school building, wondering if I should let Kuroo drive me home. This morning I had texted him simply that I'd be taking a bus to school, so I hadn't seen him all day. It wasn't that I was avoiding him exactly, I just...

The decision was made for me when I glanced over at the parking lot where Kuroo was leaning against his car, looking right at me. He raised an eyebrow when he saw me, and gathering all my courage I walked to him.

"Hey," I cleared my throat, looking up at him.

"Hey," He responded, looking me up and down, "Wanna explain why you're ignoring me? Is it cause of that kiss yesterday?"

I quickly glanced behind me. Any student coming out of the school building would look at us and then turn away, whispering to their friends.

Everybody's eyes were on me. On us. And I hated it.

"Can we continue this conversation inside the car?" I asked him, and Kuroo nodded, opening the door for me so I got in, and he went around to the other side, sitting in. 

His hair was messy as usual and he was wearing a hoodie over his uniform, his face straight as he looked at me for a response.

"It's just..." I said, "I thought we were keeping this a secret. You know, the whole benefits thing. But then yesterday you kissed me in front of everyone and now everybody is talking."

Kuroo nodded, "I've been hearing rumors all day. They think we're dating. But so what?"

"Well, for starters, we aren't dating," I tried to cover the hurt in my voice. 

Kuroo looked at me with a confused look, "Yeah, but.."

"You wanna know why I was avoiding you?" I looked at him, raising my voice, "Because you were the one who said you weren't ready for a relationship, and I went along with that, but then you were the one who kissed me in front of everyone. You're confusing, Tetsurou. I don't get you half the time."

"I'm the confusing one?" Kuroo sits up, "Well, what about you? Everytime I try to bring up the fact that we're friends now, you act weird. Never have you once admit to liking me, y/n, even though I have."

"You haven't said you liked me either," I told Kuroo, getting even angrier. I was on a roll now.

"Yes, I have," Kuroo said, "I've always been clear that I like you as a friend now-"

"As a friend," My voice drops, "Yes, you've been very clear about that, Kuroo."

"But we still-"

"No, you know what?" I said, reaching for the handle, "I'm done with this. With you. Hopefully you can find some other girl to fuck around with. Goodbye." I push open the car door and get out.

"Y/n, wait-"

I don't wait, and instead grab my bag and head back towards the school, going in the opposite direction to catch a bus. That escalated faster than I thought it would.

I'm waiting at the bus stop, trying my best to control the tears. What the hell just happened?

"Y/n?" I hear a quiet voice come from behind me. It's Kenma.

"Kenma, hey," I try for a smile, "You're taking the bus too?"

"Yeah, I am," He looks at me in concern, "You okay?"

"Yeah, fine," I say a little too quickly, and Kenma notices.

"Is it Kuroo?" He asks, "Did you guys get in a fight?"

I let out a slight laugh, "How'd you know?"

He shrugs, "A feeling, I guess." Kenma looks at me. His blonde dyed hair with dark roots falls over his face. Like Kuroo, he's also wearing a volleyball hoodie.

"So, how are you dealing with the rumors?" Kenma asks me.

"Rumors?" I ask, confused, then realize what he's talking about, "Oh, you mean about me and Kuroo dating.  Wait, how did you know-"

"That they're just rumors?" He gives me a soft smile, "Kuroo told me."

"Oh, did he?"

Kenma shrugs, "Yeah, I mean, he's still my best friend." He gets up and walks right next to me. We're the only ones around, "Which is why I was controlling myself these past few weeks. I know he likes you."

"Kenma..?" He steps even close to me so that there's barely any space between us as my heart pounds against my chest.

"But you guys are in a fight now... and... well," He finishes his sentence by grabbing my waist, leaning in to kiss me.

- - - - -

Author's Note

first update in months woooo. lmao.