"No, Marie," he groaned. "I did no such thing, and I suggest that you do not speak around mother like that. Lord knows that she would have a stroke if she heard such talk."

"Then why marry? It is not like you. You are much too slow to rush into a marriage with someone who I have not even met yet." Clearly, Marie's patience was wearing thin.

"Mother requested that I do so," he murmured. "Thus, I am to be wed." Marie quickly stopped in her shock, but Jasper kept walking, only momentarily pausing to glance back at her as he reached his study door. "Marie, please, do not look into it further."

"Jasper," she whimpered, her eyes starting to pool with tears. "It's Robert's doing, isn't it?"

"I shall not say further as to not-" he tried to delicately word it- "bring any rumors about my bride to-be. I suggest you return to breakfast." He turned the knob to his study but was quickly interrupted.

"I want to meet her," came Marie's voice, breaking at the last word. "You deserve happiness, and I know you better than anyone, brother. I shall know upon meeting her if she will suit you."

"You say that like I am a hard person to get along with," he remarked with a smirk.

"Because you are always so pleasant," she returned. "Come along now, fetch your hat and your coat. We have a future bride to visit. Think of it as calling upon her. Makes the whole rushed engagement seem a little more realistic, don't you think?"

His sister spun on her heel and sauntered down the hallway. She prattled on, discussing things like what flowers should be a part of the bouquet as if she were not nearly in tears mere seconds ago. It made him wonder if Marie was well. For if she could pull herself together so quickly, there was no telling what she was possibly hiding.

•••

"Kassie, are you feeling alright?" Kassie was startled at this, pulling herself back in from her daze. Eliza stared, as though she were quite concerned about her well-being, at Kassie. They were elbow-deep in laundry, scrubbing and hanging to dry. Kassie simply wanted to crawl back into her bed. Fatigue haunted her as of late, and she was sure it was the little thing growing inside her that was causing it. If she were not careful to conceal her symptoms, she was sure Eliza would find out. The girl simply was too curious.

"I'm fine," she answered with a small smile, in hopes of reassuring her. Eliza still looked concerned so she added, "I'm quite well. Please, do not worry."

"I shall not worry about you until you have a husband to worry about you for me," Eliza giggled. "And that may be happening soon, but it doesn't resolve me of any worrying duties in my eyes." Her blue eyes gleamed with mirth as she quickly hung up a sheet. She examined it closely before groaning and pointing out a small stain in the corner. "Mama must have spilled something on it. I don't know if we'll be able to get it out now that we've washed it."

"It is hardly noticeable, Eliza," Kassie replied, smiling to herself as she scrubbed. Eliza was always such a perfectionist. If the laundry was not folded a certain way, she was sure to let everyone in the house know about it. That was why they had all been sure to let her do it as of late. Mrs. Davis had joked with Kassie that Eliza would not be so quick to find a husband as she since she required perfection from all things, and men, Mrs. David had said with a knowing smirk, are the furthest thing from that.

The words bubbled in her mind. She had once thought of Robert as perfect. Her eyes drifted to the pocket of her apron, which was where she carried the ring he had gifted her during the day. She would never be able to see his beautiful eyes or his flirtatious smile ever again. The thought, and admittedly the hormones coursing through her body, was enough to start a flood of tears in her eyes.

"Kassie, are you alright?" Eliza abandoned the sheet, which she had pulled down and was scrubbing at again, to envelop the girl she considered her sister into a tight hug. "Whatever is the matter?"

"I do not want to leave you," she answered honestly, sniffling as she tried to wipe away her tears.

"Oh, you shall never leave me. I'll always be right here," she assured, tightening her squeeze for a moment. "You are my dearest friend, Kassie. I shall always be here for you." She pulled away, examining her companion for a moment. "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

"I know," Kassie sighed. For a moment, she wanted to. She wanted nothing but to share how she had fallen in love. To tell of the misfortune of his death and how he would never meet their unborn child, a child she so desperately loved. To tell her that the soon-to-be marriage was nothing but a marriage of convenience instead of a love match as she had hoped for. That her groom-to-be was a complete stranger. "Eliza-"

"Kassie!" Mrs. Davis called from the house. The pair turned to see Mrs. Davis grinning widely as she led a finely dressed pair, although entirely in mourning attire, to the two girls. "What are you two doing out here?"

"Laundry, mama," Eliza scoffed as if it was entirely too obvious. The pair stood and separated from their hug, walking towards the older woman.

"You two are so unsociable. Come, we have have guests. Lord Lockley, Lady Marie, allow me to introduce my daughter, Eliza, and of course, you already know our darling Kassie." Mrs. Davis' smile was so wide that Kassie worried it would be stuck like that should she stumble and lick it into place. The woman had practically been grinning since the morning that Jasper had asked her and Mr. Davis' permission to marry Kassie. She had been startled for sure, but nothing pleased her more than thinking about Kassie living a fine life, one that she apparently deserved after such a childhood. Mrs. Davis had told her so, in almost the exact same words.

"Miss Williams, Miss Davis," Jasper nodded respectfully before thanking Mrs. Davis. The woman he accompanied peered curiously at Kassie. Her dark eyes were piercing. Her face was void of any determined emotion, making Kassie feel uncomfortable under her gaze. She shifted in her spot.

"Allow me to introduce my sister, Lady Marie Keyes," he began, but Marie took over her own introduction.

"You must be Miss Williams," she said, staring directly at Kassie. She merely nodded, too scared to even speak. Marie was beautiful. It was almost hard to look at her, which was a feature she shared with Jasper it seemed. She had an intelligent look about her, almost calculated.

Marie held out her gloved hand, reaching for Kassie's. Some water still clung to her hands, so she quickly dragged them down her apron to dry them. She would hate for her first impression to be leaving the woman with damp clothes. Kassie took her hand into a strange hold, fearful of bringing her judgment.

"Do not mind my sister," Jasper assured, peering at Kassie's terrified state. "She was just very excited to meet you." Kassie merely nodded.

"You have such lovely small hands," Marie commented. "A small ring, I believe, Jasper." A blush flooded her cheeks at the mention, but her thoughts returned to the ring in her pocket. It was a tad oversized, but Kassie was sure it was because he was merely guessing her size when he got it for her.

"I suppose that is the reason you are calling upon us," Eliza guessed. Jasper smiled in response and nodded. He had a nice smile, Kassie thought. She was sure if he were to smile his truest, happiest smile he would be very handsome indeed.

"A nice sapphire would compliment your eyes," Marie added. "Jasper, are you hearing me? You really should be taking notes on this. I am practically giving you a perfect guide to a ring." Marie smirked as Kassie with a quick wink. Kassie decided she very much liked Robert and Jasper's sister. She shared several qualities with Eliza, she believed.

"I shall take in such considerations," Jasper said, "but I believe the final verdict is up to Miss Williams.  Perhaps we shall visit the village jewelry store to see if anything pleases her?" He offered his arm, and Kassie knew she was supposed to take it. He seemed kind, but she couldn't wipe Robert from her mind. How was this façade going to last?

But she took his arm still. For Robert's child, she would have to.