Prologue

It all began when the vampires took over. City after city, country after country, and continent after continent, till their race was ruling over the world.

Each vampire could own a human. Humans were nothing but livestock to them, yet how every rank of vampires treated their property. The lowest was the third rank. They wouldn't bother to sign a contract and buy one of the humans. Instead, they would hunt on the streets in the middle of the night. The second rank was exactly in the middle. They were just ordinary. They owned humans, yet didn't pay high prices for them. They gave their pray safety yet the mortals weren't treated the best way. And then we have first and the highest ones; the novelty and so the Queen. The novelty treats you great, yet to be bought by them your blood has to be so sweet. They don't force the bite onto you (at least the first one) and so they put their life in your hands, as when they don't drink enough this simply starve.

Our life now is boring, till the moment that we get sold we live in fear of the vampire low lives. Of being attacked and killed in the middle of the night. As you might have guessed I'm one of the mortals, Camille. Everything happened when I was just seventeen. Now, I'm nineteen and so came the time that I also will get sold. Before the worlds of mortals and vampires connected my life was calm. I couldn't complain about anything. I had friends, I was close with my family, had a part-time job, and a good school.
That day I was at work, there weren't too many people. And so through the speakers came a message "Mortals are no longer in charge of the country. Please follow our orders and we shall cause you no harm." I went home, just as all coworkers did. That was my last day of work. My last day of being independent and leaving as a free human.

Things changed quickly. I couldn't live with my parents anymore. I was brought to a place with a group of people I have never met. Over the two years I became friends with Gabrielle but haven't become close with anyone else. We were living with around twenty people in one villa, which was owned by middle ranked vampire, yet none of us were owned. There were two attacks of the low ranks. No one died, luckily. That's the beginning of my story.