Chapter 50- Part II

Start from the beginning

“You know at that moment I thought it was a good idea and all, but-”

She shook her head and interrupted him by saying, “You can't back out now!”

“Relax! I am not backing out,” he laughed. “All I am saying that you should have given me a heads up. And why do you need me to be a part of your big performance? Can't you do a solo kathak performance or something?”

She stiffened at the mention of kathak. She quickly shook off the pang of heartache. However, it wasn't quick enough because she could tell by Akash's body language that he knew she was upset.

His scowl grew deeper. “Are you angry?” he asked.

“Not all! I just feel terrible for coercing you into this dance,” she lied with a forced smile. “You don't have to participate in the sangeet. Just come with me. That's all.”

“Dhara, come on! What's really going on?” He wasn't an idiot and he knew something was bothering her.

“Nothing!” she said with an exaggerated huff and began standing up. “Good night.”

Akash held her hand before she could leave. “Are you sure you don't want to share?” he asked in a gentle tone.

She took a deep breath as she looked at him trying to decide if she should tell him or not. It wasn't a very difficult decision. He let go of her hand and she sat back down on the couch. “I don't do kathak anymore,” she mumbled, wringing her hands on her lap.

“Why not?” he asked, curiosity etched on his face.

“Kathak was one of my mom's passions in life. She was our first teacher. She taught us everything we know about the dance form.” Biting her lip, she tried not to cry. “Dancing by itself is hard, but doing kathak without her... I can't do it.”

“I am sorry,” he whispered as he came to sit on the arm of the couch.

Wiping the lone tear that escaped her eye, she smiled at him. She hated showing her weakness to any of her other friends or acquaintances, but with Akash it was organic. Maybe because she wasn't trying to maintain an image in front of him. She was just being herself. “Why? It's not like you knew.”

“I know, but...” he trailed off with a small shrug.

She laughed and hit him on his arm lightly. “Stop sulking and go get some sleep!”

“Not yet,” he said holding out his arm to stop her from leaving. “Let's practice for another hour. It won't be my best attempt, but at least I won't lose face while dancing beside you.”

“You don't have to.” She reassured and stood up. “I'll figure something out.”

“I know!” he said, grinning like a Cheshire cat. “I am doing it to impress one of your friends.”

“Ha! Ha! Ha!” She rolled her eyes at him but quickly ran to the sound system before he changed his mind.

She played the song from the beginning and returned to take her position beside him.

Akash began doing the move she taught him, but she didn't join him. Instead, she crossed her arms over her chest and raised an eyebrow at him.

He stopped and looked at her appearing nervous. “What?”

“Which one of my friends were you thinking about impressing?”

Akash exhaled and visibly relaxed. Laughing, he replied, “I was just kidding not that your friends aren't amazing.”

“Really?” she asked with a tight-lipped smile. “Which one in particular?”

He looked taken aback at her question before reverting to his nature of turning all serious situations into a joke. “Well...” He snapped his finger as if he was trying to recall. “That friend who came up to us while we were at the bar. The one in the purple dress. She works in the Ministry of External Affairs...What was her name?”