i've got to keep it down tonight

"Don't you remember how I used to like being on the line? I dreamed you dreamed of me calling out my name. Is it worth the price?" - King by Years & Years

"Hey, Mac. I can't talk right now." You spoke softly. Laying on the hotel bed. Your legs propped up on a firm pillow at the end of the bed.

Hope eyed you suspiciously. You did this often. Find some excuse to stop talking to Mackenzie, it seemed it only ever occured when you were in Hope's presence.

"But it's 9:00pm there. I-I just wanted to hear your voice. You know because we're not mated we can't-"

"Yes. I know."

"Maybe, the next time you're in heat we can fix that."

You had to stifle your sigh.

"No." You're not sure if Hope can hear what Mackenzie is saying. She's all but gave up on pretending to not be listening to your own words.

Mackenzie whined loudly on the other end and you could tell Hope heard that because her nose scrunches up in obvious distaste.

"Why not?"

Now you were starting to get agitated. She knew why!

"What do you mean 'why not'? We've talked about this Mackenzie. I'm not ready to mate."

"You're not ready to mate or your not ready to mate with me." It wasn't a question. Not really. You don't know whether to be pissed or sad. You're not even really sure if the distinction between those two questions matters.

Hope looked ready to pull your phone out of your hand and flush it down the toilet. That's when you realized she could hear your entire conversation.

"Would you if I was her?" Now you knew to be pissed off.

"I think the very fact that you are able to ask me that utterly stupid question is answer enough."

Mackenzie groaned. You knew her well enough to know that her entire face would be washed with regret. But you were a little to worked up to care.

"Fuck. I'm sorry, Babe."

"Whatever. I have to go."

"I lo-" You hang up before she can finish.

You want to congratulate Hope on managing to stay quiet for the thirty seconds that she did.

"I'll beat her up if you need me to." You can't tell if she's kidding. You're leaning toward she is kidding but really all it would take would be for you to say the word and she probably really would do it.

Despite yourself, you laugh.

"No. No need for you to get arrested. Again."

Hope placed a dramatic hand to her chest, "Wow. Low blow."

The corner of your mouth hitched up in a small smile before curling back down.

You flopped starfished on the bed and looked at the ceiling.

"We need to have a talk."

"Uh oh. About what." Hope took up a similar position on her own bed.

"Boundaries."

"Is this about me leaving the toilet seat up? I know you hate that, but in my defense I live alone and I'm not used to anybody coming in after me and potentially falling in."