Mom: It's actually time for me to wake him up for his medication. Do you mind getting a cup of water?

Fantasy: no problem, I'll be right back.

I watched her leave the room and looked back over to my dad. After years of not wanting to see him, all I wanted to do was give him a hug and forget about all the disagreements we had. I wasn't going to cry because if I did, then mama would cry harder. I sat beside him and studied his face. Same eye shape, hair, color, we were identical. He was just a little bit more chubbier. Dad was a man of God, a preacher if you wanted to call it that. Always in the church and encouraging me to come. He was a good man, but sometimes he spoke before he could think. I remember how all the kids in the church would tease me about how my dad was a black man and my mother, mexican. As a little boy growing up, it was hard for me to understand a few things.

When the bills started stacking high and the money was getting low, I looked out on the streets for help. Just a teenage boy wanting to support my family. Ross took me in and treated me like I was his own child. Taught me a few things as well. In a couple of months I was a king out there in the streets. Getting all the girls I wanted, having all the money, I was living large. Until my dad found out. He basically disowned me. He didn't want anything to do with me, he hated me. What preacher did anyone know had a son who hustled on the corner? Told me that he couldn't believe me and that I had been hanging with the wrong group of people. For a few weeks I stayed over Fantasy and Jamie's house back to back since my dad had kicked me out. He told me to not come back until I got myself together.

That's when Fantasy showed me how she wouldn't give up on me like my parents did. That's when I realized she was truly something special. The one who would never judge me. She helped me stop dealing and doing drugs. I thank god for her everyday. That's when I was falling in love with her but I didn't realize until now. A sharp pain of guilt came over me once I realized that I was making a wrong turn. How ironic that I was even back in the same place I finally had been able to leave. Fantasy would be heartbroken and probably wouldn't speak to me if she found out I'm back selling drugs. The rule is, once your in you can never get out. All those nights mama prayed for me to do better had gone to waste. I was back in the same shit I tried to escape from. I looked back over to my mom who was still crying and looking at dad. What had I done?

Dad's eyelashes batted open and he started to sit up. Mom and I helped him and fixed his pillow. He seemed so weak. He turned over to me and placed his hand in mines. It took all of me not to cry. I hadn't seen him in such a long time.

Dad: Rich? Boy is that you?

Me: it's me.

Dad: why the long face? Both of you look so down. There's no need to worry I'm fine. Just resting.

Me: you had a stroke. As soon as I heard I rushed down here.

Dad: that's my boy. You made sure your mother was okay right?

Me: yes sir.

Dad: son, I want to apologize. For everything. It's not good to hold grudges and that's what I had been doing. Your mother had talked to me numerous times about you. I guess I hadn't believed you changed until now. I was so worried that I would loose you out there on those streets. But I know now I don't have to worry.

I smiled a little but it went away as I felt the same guilt sink hard into my stomach. I wasn't expecting my father to apologize so easily.

Dad: I know you're making me proud by staying in college. I love you son.

Me: I love you too.

Mom: it's about time you two made up. I have to call everyone in the family! This calls for a family dinner.