11. not lying

mavis eventually cleaned up, wiping away her smudged eyeliner and mascara. she took a deep breath, and put on a smile before opening the door.

"oh hey mavis!" quackity greeted, flashing a happy smile. she smiled back and softly replied with a hi. she walked over the kitchen island to see nick and dream murmuring. "dude shut up!" nick whisper shouted, noticing mavis.

her eyebrows furrowed and she let out a small chuckle, "what?" she questioned the boys.

"uhm— nothing." nick said, nudging dream. the boys made eye contact and nick quickly walked away from them. yay! now their alone, again.

"what was that about?" mavis laughed, trying to start a conversation. he smiled seeing mavis smile, "just nick being nick." he replied fast. mavis opened her mouth to say something, but he beat her to it.

"do you maybe want to go somewhere— with me?" dream asked, nervously asking. she was purely confused, but i mean, she couldn't complain. "sure! where are we going?" she accepted, which shocked dream.

"the beach." he answered, a smile still stuck to his face. "alright! i'll get ready right now." mavis chirped, walking away.
she was puzzled by what he was trying to do, they went to the beach not that long ago, why did he want to go alone with me? she thought.

nightfall was taking over the sky, which confused mavis even more.

-

"okay why are we going to the beach? especially at this time?" mavis asked, sitting in passenger's seat. "it's a surprise." dream replied.

"oh woah— i swear to god if you are murdering me—" mavis' shot him a glare. "i'm not going to murder you mavis!" he said in between laughs. "well you better not." she muttered.

-

in the car ride, they fell into a conversation easily. every time mavis was with him, she felt safe. he felt like home.

he felt the same way about her. he doesn't care where he was, as long as he with mavis, he was perfect.

-

"alright— we're here!" he spoke with nervousness wrapped around his tone. "okay, what are we even doing here?" mavis laughed, getting out of the car, walking up to shore. "i just wanted to be here with you." he said. and he wasn't lying, but he wasn't telling the truth.

mavis knew him, did he really think he could get away with lying? she though to herself. she brushed it off, and sat down with him.

"mavis," he said, causing her to look at him, "remember that one time i said i didn't like you?" he asked, causing her to cringe. "i mean—how could i forget?" she said sarcastically.

"yeah," he looked down, feeling the guilt crawl right back into him, "i'm sorry. i am really sorry about that. i never meant to say that," he said.

he never meant to say that? her mind only wrapped around those words. then what did he mean? there's no way—

"i panicked, and i fucked up." he looked back up, "i do like you, mavis." he said firmly. her eyes widen, "clay— don't feel bad. you don't have to lie to me because i was sad." she replied softly. she didn't want pity. she hated it. she's not going to earn somebody's feelings by pity. that was the last thing she would ever do.

"what?" he asked, confused. "i'm not lying." he spoke truthfully. "yeah yeah— prove it." mavis said jokingly, with anger laced in her tone. she stood up and started walking over to the car.

he really brought me for that? she spoke to herself, clearly upset.

dream quickly stood up, following her. he wrapped his hand around her's and spun her around, making her face him. his other hand made it's way to her jaw, and he leaned in. all the way this time.

-

author's note🧩
AYO?
anyways— remember to vote for this story lolz🥴

-