9. almost

the fun night sadly came to an end, and they all stayed up til midnight telling dumb stories. mavis and dream were the last to wake up, they were both on the couch, his arms wrapped around her tightly. he fluttered his eyes open to see mavis close to him, his cheeks flushed into a pink tint.

"morning dream!" george greeted from the kitchen. "morning." his raspy voice muttered in response, trying his best not to wake up his friend. unfortunately— it didn't work. her eyelids slowly lifted to see dream holding her. he could feel her tense up, and she shifted off of him.

"uhm— morning," mavis made eye contact with her best friend, "george, can i talk to you later?" she asked. he nodded.

"am i that irresistible?!" george joked, with sapnap eavesdropping. "yes you are!!" sap yelled from his room. they let out a small laugh.

last night, dream had left his hoodie on top of mavis' bags. feeling cold, she reached out to that hoodie, pull it over her.  she didn't notice how it wasn't her's, but dream did. he smiled at her. "you look cute in my hoodie." he blurted, making him flustered again.

her eyes widen at the spontaneous words, and her eyes shot down to reveal his hoodie. "thanks." she mumbled as a smile painted across her face. george already left the kitchen, so they were alone. she started to make pancakes and she shuffled her playlist.

she swayed to the music as dream nodded his head to the beat. multiple songs played, low key delaying the pancakes, but they didn't mind. mavis sang holding a fork, pretending it was a microphone. she faced him and leaned the "microphone" towards him, implying for him to sing.

and so he did, the two sang back and forth, laughter occasionally popping in. mavis lived for moments like this. it made her so happy, it made her feel at home.

and for dream, he would kill for more moments like these, he had gotten plenty with mavis, but it didn't seem like enough. he wanted to spend every minute with her.

-

they had their breakfast and changed, but they decided to stay inside today. mavis and dream were laughing at some tweets before george came over. "mavis?" he called out, causing both of their eyes to shift to george, "you wanted to talk?" he recalled.

"oh right! i'll be back soon c." she said, following george into a separate room. "okay— so what's up?" he questioned the girl. she took a moment to gather up her thoughts, "ok well— i lied to him. i said i didn't like him anymore, but i like him. so much. i try my best to ignore my feelings, but i can't! he always doing something to make me smile! i hate it so much!" she ranted to her best friend.

he hummed, signaling he was listening. "hang in there mave— he's just nervous, the boys and i will convince him to make a move soon." he said patting her back. mavis shot him a thankful smile, "thank you george." she clasped her arms around him, "i don't tell you this a lot, but i appreciate you a lot." he smiled at her heartwarming sentence.

"i appreciate you too." he replied truthfully.

george was the type of the guy to bottle his feelings. it hurt, but he didn't want to dump all of his shit onto another person. he was the therapist friend, nobody asked him how he felt. everybody except for mavis, of course.

mavis could see right through him, whenever he needed to talk, she was always there.

-

she let go of the hug, "i'll talk to you soon." she shot him a smile, causing him to return the same smile.

mavis came out of the room, searching for dream. "hey dream." she teased him. "don't call me that!" he rolled his eyes. "why not? everybody else calls you dream, why can't i?" she questioned. "because i like they way you say my name." he mumbled, turning off his phone.

"oh really? clay?" she said, accentuating 'clay'. he let out a small chuckle as mavis plopped herself down next to him. she looked down at his hands, and an idea popped in her mind. "clay?" she called out, making eye contact with him. "yes, mavis?" he replied.

"if i asked you if i could paint your nails, what would you say?" she asked, with a big grin. he couldn't help but grin as well, "i would say yes." he answered.  "well then— can i paint your nails?" she sat up straighter. "yes, you may." he spoke formally as a joke.

she jumped out of her seat, reaching for her bags. she lifted her black nail polish, "tada!!" she cheered. his eyebrows furrowed, "do you always keep nail polish with you?" he scanned the item. "no, i actually was planning on painting your nails, i just forgot." mavis explained, gently grabbing his hand and placing it in her knee.

as she painted the first coat, he watched curiously, with his thumb rubbing her knee. she smiled at his small interaction, god he made it so hard for her to lose feelings.

-

"and we're done!" she beamed. he raised his hand closer to his face to get a better look, "do you like them?" she tilted her head. "i do!" he smiled.

she smiled back, staring into his eyes as he did the same. a comfortable silence filled upon them. she could look at his eyes forever and never get bored.

-

he wanted to kiss her, again, but he studied her face first. he didn't want to do it if she didn't want to. but she was looking right back at him, he lifted his hand up to her, and tucked a pice of hair behind her ear.

his hand lightly cupped her cheek, but the moment mavis felt his touch, she broke out of her trance.

she stood up and her face flushed from what had just happened. "uh— i'm gonna go." she sputtered. dream nodded and mentally slapped himself, what is wrong with me? he thought to himself.

-

author's note🧩
LOLL ANOTHER CLOSE KISS

-