Chapter 40 - The trophy room

Start from the beginning

This was torture.

"It's only as complicated as you make it," Dani offered. "You and him just have to find a way to bury the bone."

I pressed my lips together, but I was still unable to keep in my snort.

"What?" Dani asked, smacking my arm.

"You mean 'bury the hatchet'?"

Dani narrowed her eyes.

"I'm pretty sure it's bone," she said, moving to keep up with the line.

I grabbed her arm. "Uh, that does not mean what you think it means."

"Isn't it the same?"

"Nope."

"So what does 'bury the bone' mean?"

I wiggled my eyebrows, mimicking her earlier gesture.

"Oh, God." Dani's cheeks turned bright pink and she raised a finger. "That explains why professor Michaels gave me a weird look the other day."

I burst out laughing. "Oh, Dani. You did not."

She shrugged it off. "How am I supposed to keep up with all these sayings anyway?"

"Maybe don't use them if you don't know what they mean?"

"What's the fun in that?"

With a yelp, she fished her phone out of her tiny purse.

"Jesse texted!" Her eyes skimmed the words, eyebrows pulling together. "That little bitch. He says he's too busy to come out."

"That sucks," I sighed.

"I guess we should try the party at Gamma instead?" Dani asked, glancing at the queue.

"You know what," I said, unbuttoning my purse. "I could text Freddy."

Dani jumped up and down on the spot, clapping her hands.

"Yes!" She stopped jumping. "I mean, you'd do that for me?"

"Sure. Even though I don't want to lead him on, I think he's harmless."

"Definitely."

"What do I even say? I can't just beg him to help us out."

"He totally would though. Unless he's too busy trying to talk someone over."

I instantly started to regret my decision.

The regret turned into full-fledged panic when Dani put her palm out.

"I'll do it."

"No."

"Please, what do you think of me? I'll just type it out for you and you can read it and choose if you want to send it or not."

Reluctantly I placed the phone in her hand. "Okay. But nothing too forward."

Dani giggled, the sound giving me chills.

"Of course not," she said sweetly.

"Dani..."

"Here," she said, handing me the phone to look.

Hey, is Alpha RSVP only tonight? I wanna know if I should keep standing in this line.

I shot Dani a look. "Of course it's not RSVP only. Alpha parties never are."

"I know that! But he doesn't know that you know that."