Amused, he shook his head and followed you to the buffet table. Everything looked and smelled delicious. He spotted several glass cereal dispensers filled with frosted flakes, Cap'n Crunch, Lucky Charms and good old Fruit Loops.

"We also have French toasts, pancakes, croissants, turnovers, omelettes, eggs, four different types of bread with margarine, butter, jam, Nutella, or marmalade," you said without pausing for a breath, "freshly sliced fruits, a variety of yogurts, granola, oatmeal, orange juice, apple juice, Danish pastries, muffins and a great selection of teas."

"And that's it?" Bucky asked, his face breaking into a teasing smile. You liked the way his eyes crinkled at the corners right before he smiled.

You pouted your lips while you thought. "Actually no, we also have scrambled eggs –which, frankly, I don't recommend. They come in a plastic bag and we have to heat them up in the microwave. It's a little gross. You can try the sausage and bacon though, unless you don't eat meat."

"And coffee?" He found your flustered reaction to his teasing absolutely adorable.

"Yes, of course," you said, biting your bottom lip. "Sorry, I get a little excited sometimes."

"I understand," he nodded. "That's a pretty great buffet, though I'll stay clear of the scrambled eggs."

You took a few steps toward the kitchen and turned back to him, a little apologetic cringe on your face. "Um, how do you take your coffee? Expresso, Americano, latte, cappuccino, macchiato, mocha, ristretto-" you paused to take a breath "-or iced coffee?"

A laugh bubbled out of him. He couldn't help it, you were just too endearing. "Black," he said, grinning. "I know I'm boring."

"Oh, no! You're not boring," you rushed to say, then realized what he was doing. "Ugh, you're messing with me, aren't you?"

"A little." His nose scrunched up as he said it.

You went to the kitchen to make his cup of coffee and Bucky began to browse the length of the buffet table. Scooping food onto his plate with only one hand proved more challenging than he expected, and he was glad that the lounge was mostly empty.

He could feel the lady in the grey suit's eyes on him as moved around. He set his plate on the bar, removed the glass lid, scooped up two hefty pancakes and stacked them on his plate. They looked pretty fluffy, it wouldn't be hard to cut them with the edge of a fork. Then he replaced the lid and moved his plate closer to the maple syrup bottle.

He glanced at the woman who hastily looked away as if she hadn't been staring at him the whole time. Annoyed, he kept looking at her while he poured maple syrup over his pancakes. He hated when people stared at him as if he were a freak. He narrowed his eyes menacingly and grinned to himself when she started fidgeting in her seat.

"You must really love maple syrup."

Bucky paused at the sound of your voice, his features immediately softened. He looked down at his plate and realised he had drowned his pancakes in a gooey river of maple syrup. He must have spaced out during his staring contest with the business woman.

He had a strange look in his eyes, his expression a mix of confusion and anguish. Finally his eyes found yours and you smiled warmly at him, making him fight back a blink. You pried the bottle out of his rigid hand, and he let you take it.

"Thank you," he said, his voice weak.

You weren't sure what he was apologizing for but it wasn't something you were going to analyse right now. "There's a cup of coffee waiting for you. Best cup in Manhattan."

He laughed, the crinkles were back. "You're an angel."

Bucky returned to his table and loaded his coffee with three teaspoons of sugar before he took a sip. He had always preferred sweet to savoury, and coffee was way too bitter for him.

There wasn't much to do in the lounge. The television was behind him, the sound kept to a minimum. The lady in the grey suit left soon after and Bucky watched you clean her table.

You moved back and forth between the main room and the kitchen, going about your work and occasionally shooting him a smile. The food was good, not spectacular, but still better than his usual breakfast –two slices of toasted white bread with butter and a cup of coffee.

"Do you need anything else?" you asked, standing next to his table.

"Company?" he said with a hopeful look. "Please."

You offered him a pained grimace when he gestured at the seat across from him. "I'm not allowed to sit. Sorry."

It was hard to resist his puppy dog eyes but you needed to keep your job if you wanted to be able to afford your own place.

"Do you like working here?"

"It's okay," you shrugged. "I'm glad I have a job."

"Sam mentioned you're an artist."

You shyly looked around you, you were the only two people in the room now. "I haven't painted since I got this job," you revealed. "I'm pretty sure my artist membership card has been cancelled."

"Nope, those are for life."

You laughed. "I hope so."

You looked at each other before he asked, "Do you have any pictures of your work?"

You were genuinely surprised that someone wanted to see your work. Usually people offered a half-hearted 'oh, that nice. I paint, too, occasionally" and changed the subject. You patted your pockets, searching for your phone, and groaned when you remembered that it was in your locker.

"I don't have my phone with me but wait-" You took a napkin from the table and started writing. "This is my Instagram. I do a bit of everything, mostly landscapes and portraits."

Bucky took the piece of paper and, before he could comment, a family of four walked into the lounge area. You apologized to him and walked over to the family, greeting them with a smile and asking them if they had a good night's sleep.

The children looked like walking zombies until they spotted the cereal bar, and then chaos ensued. More people went down to breakfast and you didn't have time to chat with him anymore.

He stayed a little longer, watching you help the kids pour cereal and milk into their bowls. A man who didn't speak English very well asked you a question and you froze, trying to make him understand since you didn't speak his language. Bucky smiled when you mimed the answer. The man laughed and gave you a thumb's up.

There was something about you, something soft and caring, that made people at ease. Even when people started complaining that the platter of scrambled eggs was empty, you defused the situation so smoothly that they left with a smile on their face. It was the kind of person you were, kind-hearted and willing to help.

An angel.

When you looked in his direction again, Bucky was gone. You felt a pang of disappointment that he hadn't said goodbye, but you had been so busy that even if he had been trying to get your attention, chances are you wouldn't have noticed him.

Pouting exaggeratedly to yourself, you went to his table with your tray and a clean rag to collect the dirty dishes. You moved the unfolded napkin and what you saw underneath made you stop. You blinked, once, twice, three times, certain that you were hallucinating. You scooped up the bills and counted them.

$300

Your eyes were the size of saucers as you ran back to the lobby. You checked outside for Bucky but he was gone. You stood there, under the glass awning, with a bewildered look on your face, still clutching the bills.